Nationalism: A New Hate Speech

Posted by Akhilesh Nagari
March 1, 2017

Nationalism is the new truth in today’s scenario. India is a secular state(as told in Preamble of the constitution of India), but in today’s time, it is influenced by the epiphany’s of Hindutva. In, 1995 Manohar Joshi v/s N B Patil case, SC gave its verdict saying Hindutva is a way of life, which in today’s context fits aptly, as RSS is preaching Hindutva throughout the country, and ABVP, it’s student political wing is preaching “Nationalism”.

Whoever, speaks against Government is castigate as an anti-national. Some Media houses are running  Media trials on them, such as Arnab Goswami on Times Now lashed out on Umar Khalid, a student leader of JNUSU, who was a part of the “anti-national” movement on 9th Feb 2016 (as per the rhetorics of Mr. Goswami).

In JNU on 9th Feb 2016, a protest was staged by JNUSU under the banner of “The Country without a Post office”, a name taken from a book written by Agha Shahid Ali. this protest raised the issue pertaining to Hanging Afzal Guru, the perpetrator of  2001 Parliament attack, names like Kanhiya Kumar, Umar Khalid, Bhattacharya and many others caught the attention of India, as anti-India slogans were allegedly raised by the students in the protest. The protest was suuposed to be showcased through poetry, art and music. This set off row, with the members of ABVP staging a protest to demand the expulsion of organisers. The University responded by setting up an inquiry commission, and said that event organisers went ahead without any permission. A case of sedition was charged against some unkown student under Section 124A of IPC, Section 120B(criminal conspiracy) and 34(acts done by several person with a common intention) at Vasant Kunj, Police Station, following this Police arested Kanhiya Kumar and several others, except Umar Khalid as he went underground for some time.

Now, the same Umar Khalid along with Shela Rashid Shora was invited by Ramjas College cultural wing to deliever lecture, the event was named as “Cultures of Protest”, but yet again ABVP staged an protest against this, but this time they didn’t restrict themselves till their rhetorics on Nationalism but went a bit too far by allegedly delievering rape threats. Recently, Wire.in, break the news, in which an  ABVP footsoldier is confessing to tharsh protesters and teachers.

This doesn’t stop here, this vicious poison of Nationalism even raised the question on Kargil War hero Captain. Mandeep Singh’ s daughter, Gurmehar Kaur’s tweet in which she said ” I AM STUDENT FROM DELHI UNIVERSITY. I AM NOT AFRAID OF ABVP. EVERY STUDENT OF INDIA IS WITH ME”. 

BJP MP from Mysuru, Pratap Sinha compared one of her in context to her previous tweets where she said “Pakistan didn’t killed my Father, War did” with Dawood Ibrahim. Like this there were alot rhetorics, following which Gurmehar Kaur withdraws from this social media campaigning by saying that “Campaign was anout STUDENTS and not ME”

At last I would like to know What is this Nationalism? To which path are we headed to? Is this was the Future for which our country’s braveheart had sacrificed their lives? Are we so intolerant, that we couldn’t hande an intellectual criticism?