Of Judgements And Conclusions

Posted by Nandhini Chandran
March 24, 2017

Have you slandered someone you haven’t met or spoken to? Have you ever judged or hated them based on something someone else said? Did you ever exaggerate it a little too much?

I’ve had people say mean things about me. People I’ve never met or spoken to in my life. Trivial, yes. But it matters. Because I’ve no idea who you are and you probably don’t have the right to judge me.

Well, if you say things about me that are true, be gone with it. The problem begins only when you say things about me that are not true. If I did do it, I’d accept that I’ve done something embarrassing. And I’ll make peace with it. It’s only when it’s not true, it hurts. It hurts not because I’m guilty, but because, I’m not the person you portray me to be, I never have been.

I am what I am essentially. And I live by the norms of society, though not out of choice. Now here you are working hard to destroy that image. You are painting a picture, your picture of me. That is my problem.

If I could be what I what to be, then that’s complete freedom. I will be at peace even when the whole world says things about me that are not true. But I haven’t gotten there yet and I don’t know how long it will take to get there. I don’t even know whether I can get there. But that’s my battle to fight.

You have no tiff with me. And hence I place a request. Kindly refrain from saying something mean about someone you haven’t met or spoken to. Because, you don’t know the person they are. And there is no reason why you should do it. Thank you.