The Higher-Educational institutions are giving scope for democratic wisdom, which has been bigoted as Anti-National activities by the Jingoists.

Posted by Satish Goud
March 7, 2017

The universities give strength to empower wide knowledge on the intellectual scholars of the country. Entering into university itself is an initial step towards budding intellectuality. It is a place where, the real gist of education can be seen. Education in Universities doesn’t confine only to the library, it explores to the society.  Understanding Society and societal substance are much complicated and important, particularly in countries like India, where diversity is the strength and weakness of the nation. The process of Understanding the obscurity (abstruse) happens at Higher –Educational institutions particularly, public funded institutes.
To make it precise, “Public Funded”  reflects the, the core idea of Indian Integrity, where public funded institutions are the platforms, to some extent, people from subaltern communities will be provided opportunities to get into the mainstream. Culturally mixed group gives us the social knowledge, which every must have or learn. University is the only place, where we get such an opportunity to gain the societal knowledge.

If you want to call a place a university, you grant that place its freedom to question everything in the world. Otherwise there is no need to have them, or call them universities.  A university is a place where you meet the other, the antagonist, the challenger, and learn to deal with your political and other differences. To accept and respect those differences, even as you try to bridge or reject them, are the choices at hand. A university is a place where students learn to resist all that is forced upon them, all that does not taste like liberty. A university is a place where a future is born, and it is called future precisely because it refuses to resemble the past. Resistance is the universal responsibility of university education. Only resistance is truly universal. A university is a place where you put forward your best political argument for a cause and measure it against the arguments of others.

The historical underpinnings say that, resistance is the form to establish democracy. Resistance becomes an activity, whenever De-Humanization becomes the moral law. In the cases of Rohit Veluma (HCU), Kannaih Kumar (JNU) and kaur(DU), though the forms of resistance many vary, but ultimate goal is to institute democratic thought. The social movements in these instances portray the attempts of the resistance group in exposing the undemocratic.  Rohit Vemula, who could not digest the caste atrocities, had left as a castiest by the Right-wing forces. Kannaih, who raised voice against the state violence portrayed as Anti-National. Kaur, who wanted to prevent inter-state violence and also to demonstrate the unjust behavior of ABVP (Right-wing organization), threatened by the same Right wing and trying to portray her as Anti-National, comparing her with Dawood. The central point in the above instances focus on the attribute of the dominant Right-wing forces in politicizing the democratic protests and deteriorating subaltern demonstrations.

Protests against the Right-wing political ideologies are claiming as Anti-National.  The language of protest has to be tempered so that it does not resemble a rampant form of jingoism. In this perspective Rabindranath Tagore, one of the great nationalist said that,

“Even though from childhood I had been taught that the idolatry of Nation is almost better than reverence for God and humanity, I believe I have outgrown that teaching, and it is my conviction that my countrymen will truly gain their India by fighting against that education which teaches them that a country is greater than the ideals of humanity.… Nationalism is a great menace. It is the particular thing which for years has been at the bottom of India’s troubles.”

There is a political (and ethical) necessity in not borrowing the singular language (and logic) of hate. The good name of resistance needs to be upheld. Resisting the feudal and upholding the democratic ideas is the essence of education. That is being fulfilling by the students in universities.

The contemporary discourse on universities says that, upholding democratic ideas are Anti-National. The campaign of “Anti-National Elements” is absolutely a menace to the ideologies of socialism, liberalism, secularism and also a cessation for the principles of social justice, equality and freedom of expression in our country.