How You Can Help 100 Police Dogs Live A Happy Life After Retirement

Posted by The Voice of Stray Dogs in Animal Rights
March 15, 2017

Thousands of dogs serve our country as part of the Indian Army, the Police, the Railway Police Force, CISF, etc. About 1200 serve in just the Army. At VOSD, we call them #PatriotDogs.

With VOSD’s deep experience of over 200,000+ treatments, 7,000+ rescues, and 750+ permanent dogs, and world-class medical and technological support, we have been keeping #PatriotDogs discharged by the Karnataka, Kerala, and Railway Police Forces among others.

#PatriotDogs are trained in various specialties like explosive detection, tracking down insurgents or terrorists, and mounting massive search-and-rescues.

From the tender age of just two months, they serve our country through the prime of their lives – usually 8-10 years. It’s a sad fact that till recently, they were euthanised at the end of their service.

At the end of 2015, the courts put a stop to this tragic practice, but the concern remains the same. Where will these #PatriotDogs go when they can no longer serve?

They are not cute and cuddly and ready for adoption.

Most are senior dogs, and they carry the weight of their jobs – most are arthritic, many have other illnesses as well. Some are younger but have been discharged from service due to medical reasons.

From being working dogs, on duty every day, their lives suddenly change and they are confined to a kennel, away from their handlers. Their handlers cannot adopt them, as there is no pension or allowance to care for these #PatriotDogs.

At VOSD, we have approached – and in turn, been approached by – several organisations to provide a home for their retired #PatriotDogs. In the past year alone, we have added dogs from the Kerala Police, the Karnataka Police, the Railway Police Force, the Indian Army.

Just last month, a one-year-old police dog was declared unfit to serve due to a congenital heart condition. He came home to us.

We believe it’s time to do something for our #PatriotDogs, who have given us the best of their lives.

This year, we want to add not just a few, but 100 #PatriotDogs to the VOSD Sanctuary.

#PatriotDogs like Chakki and Christy, two ageing German Shepherds from the Kerala Police, spent their time  lying in the sun, or playing “fetch” with our team. #PatriotDogs like Arjun, a senior Labrador from the Karnataka Police – his handlers brought him from Hubli, and left him with a garland around his neck, and a tearful farewell.

We have a great deal of experience in dealing with old, unwell, abandoned dogs. The VOSD Sanctuary now homes 750+ dogs permanently, many of them old and on lifelong medication. We want to do something special for our #PatriotDogs.

• Build a purpose built 10,000 sq. ft. enclosure only for our canine heroes
  • Ensure daily lifelong care with joint medication, and renal, liver and cardiac support required for each of them
  • Create an exercise/play area for the more active dogs so that they do not miss their working lives
  • Give them the dedicated love and care that only VOSD can provide, proof of which are our happy resident dogs at the VOSD Sanctuary

But we will not be able to do this without your help. Even at our scale of operation, it costs us close to Rs 2000 a month to care for a senior dog, or one with special needs.

Help us meet those costs, as well as, the cost of building new infrastructure on our existing property. Every paisa counts, and at VOSD, everything goes to the dogs – there are no administrative costs or overheads.

Help us help our #PatriotDogs. Find out how: ket.to/patriotdogs

VOSD (The Voice of Stray Dogs) is the world’s largest citywide dog rescue. In the past four years, VOSD has helped treat over 7,000 dogs, carried out over 200,000 medical treatments, and the VOSD Sanctuary is home to no less than 550 dogs.

Many eminent celebrities have pledged their support to VOSD, including fashion guru, Prasad Bidapa; badminton champion, Ashwini Ponnappa, and Grammy-winning musician, Ricky Kej. Most recently, leading football club, Bengaluru FC (BFC), captained by Sunil Chhetri, has chosen to support VOSD’s work.