Top 10 Tourist Places To Visit In South India

Posted by Hruday Chand Reddy
March 24, 2017

South India has wonderful tourist destination in India. South India is the area encompassing the Indian states of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Telangana as well as the union territories of Andaman and Nicobar, Lakshadweep and Puducherry. Here are some top places to visit in South India.

Jog Falls

Jog falls is the one of the highest plunge waterfall in India situated in Shimoga district of Karnataka State. It is located on the Shimoga and Uttara Kannada district border. These segmented falls are a major tourist attraction. The waterfall is locally known as Geruoppe Falls, Gersoppa Falls and Jogada Gundi. Jog Falls is one of the most beautiful waterfalls in India and one of the top destinations of Karnataka Tourism. This is formed over the Sharavathi River falling from a height of 253 m (830 ft).The Sharavathi River flowing over a very rocky bed about 250 yards wide, 253 m deep and the water comes down in four distinct falls known as Raja, Rani, Rover and Rocket. The four cascades merge to form the huge waterfall. The Raja Fall pours in one unbroken column sheer to the depth of 830 ft. Halfway down it is encountered by the Rover, another fall, which rushes violently downwards to meet the Raja. A third fall, the Rocket, shoots downwards in a series of jets; while the fourth, the Rani, is a quiet fall over the mountain side. The best time to visit Jog Falls is from August to January while the peak season is from September to December. Usually it takes half day to visit Jog Falls.

Munnar

Munnar is a town and hill station located in the Idukki district of the southwestern Indian state of Kerala. Munnar is situated at around 1,600 metres above mean sea level, in the Western Ghats range of mountains. It is one of the best Tourist places in Kerala and among the most popular hill stations in India. This is also one of the famous weekend getaways from Kochi, Coimbatore & Madurai cities. Munnar is also known for Neelakurinji flowers, which blooms once in 12 years. The kurinji season in Munnar is a magnificent sight as the hills and valleys are blanketed by Neelakurinji blooms.

Alappuzha

Alappuzha, also known as Alleppey, is the administrative headquarters of Alappuzha District of Kerala state of southern India. Alappuzha is situated 28 km from Changanssery, 46 km from Kottayam and 53 from Kochi and 155 kilometres (96 mi) north of Trivandrum. A town with picturesque canals, backwaters, beaches, and lagoons, it was described as the one of the places known as the “Venice of the East” by Lord Curzon. Hence, it is known as the “Venetian Capital” of Kerala. Malayalam is the most spoken language. Hindi, English and Tamil are also spoken in the town. Along with Kumarakom, Alappuzha is among the most famous destination of Backwaters in kerala. Alappuzha is an important tourist destination in India. The Alleppey Backwaters are the most popular tourist attraction in Kerala. A houseboat cruise in these backwaters can be booked. It connects Kumarakom and Cochin to the North and Quilon to the South. This is also one of the ideal weekend getaways from Kochi & Trivandrum and also one of the best Kerala tourist places.

Athirapally Falls

Athirappally Falls is situated in Athirappilly panchayath, Chalakudy Taluk in of Thrissur district, Kerala on the southwest coast of India. Located on the west-flowing Chalakudy River near the Vazhachal Forest Division and the Sholayar ranges, this 24-metre waterfall and the nearby Vazhachal Falls are popular tourist destinations. There is another waterfall on the way from Athirappilly to Vazhachal Falls, in close proximity to the road and is locally called “Charpa Falls”. Athirappally Falls is the largest waterfall in Kerala and is nicknamed “The Niagara of India”. Controversy about a state-proposed hydroelectric dam on the Chalakudy River above the waterfalls began in the 1990s and has continued through 2011.

Ooty

Ooty is a town and municipality in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is located 80 km north of Coimbatore and is the capital of the Nilgiris district. It is a popular hill station located in the Nilgiri Hills. Apart from pleasant weather, Ooty Lake, Botanical Garden, Rose Garden, Wenlock Downs, Pine Forest, and Emerald Lake are the popular Ooty sightseeing places. The toy train, known as Nilgiri Mountain Railway that runs from Mettupalayam to Ooty is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a must be experienced. The train route wends its way through many hair-raising curves and fearful tunnels and chugs along beside deep ravines full of verdant vegetation, gurgling streams and tea gardens. Ooty is one of the best hill stations in India and also one of the top places to experience Tamil Nadu Tourism.

Kodaikanal

Kodaikanal is a city in the hills of the Dindigul district in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. Its name in the Tamil language means “The Gift of the Forest”. Kodaikanal is referred to as the “Princess of Hill stations” and has a long history as a retreat and popular tourist destination. It has several scenic natural attractions which are enjoyed by its visitors and make it a popular romantic destination.

Kodaikanal has several scenic natural attractions which are enjoyed by its visitors and make it a popular romantic destination for newlyweds. These are described in order of distance from the bus-stand. Kodaikanal is not extensively commercialized like Ooty and it offers a pleasant experience to tourists with relatively less crowd. Best time to visit Kodaikanal is April to June during the summer. Monsoon from September to October also offers a different experience.

Bhadrachalam

Bhadrachalam is a census town in Bhadradri District of the Indian state of Telangana. It is an important Hindu pilgrimage town with an existence of the Bhadrachalam Temple of Lord Rama, situated on the banks of Godavari river. It is located 312 kilometres east of state capital, Hyderabad. Bhadrachalam is renowned for the famous Sri Rama Temple built in the 17th century and is one of the best Tourist Places in Telangana.

The temple for Lord Rama was built by a devotee called Kancherla Gopanna popularly known as Bhakta Ramadasu in the 17th century. Gopanna was the Tasildar of Bhadrachalam and constructed the temple using public donations. But the Golconda Sultans were misled and felt that Gopanna had misused the government funds to build the temple. He was imprisoned in a dungeon at Golconda Fort. Lord Rama is said to have miraculously appeared before the Sultan and paid the money spent by Gopanna, after which he was released. Gopanna then became Bhadrachala Ramadasu and went on composing several songs in Telugu in praise of Rama. Kabirdas, the famous Muslim saint and poet, was also closely associated with this temple.

This holy town with beautiful landscapes provided by River Godavari attracts several devotees throughout the year from different parts of Telangana and AP states. This holy river houses most of the sacred shrines of the town in and around its banks. The Ushnagundam (Hot Pool) or Gundala is located at a short distance from the Temple. Parnasala, 35 km north of Bhadrachalam, is believed to mark the hermitage where the demon Ravana abducted Sita. Tourists can engage in activities such as boating, trekking and a trip to Papikondalu.

Srisailam

Srisailam is one of the twelve Jyotirlingas of Lord Shiva situated on the banks of River Krishna in Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh. It is one of the most important pilgrimage centers of Lord Shiva in India and also one of the top Places to visit in Andhra. Srisailam is also one of the most popular weekend getaways from Hyderabad.

The town of Srisailam is reputed for the shrine of Lord Mallikarjuna on the flat top of Nallamala Hills. It has played a dominant role in the Hindu religious, cultural and social history since ancient times. The epigraphical evidence reveals that the history of Srisailam began with the Satavahanas who were the first empire builders in South India. The earliest known historical mention of the hill, Srisailam, can be traced to the King Vasishthiputra Pulumavi’s Nasik inscription of 1st Century A.D. Srisailam or Srisailamu is situated in the Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh, India. It is also the main attraction of AP Tourism.

Coorg

Coorg or Madikeri is an administrative district in Karnataka, India. Before 1956 it was an administratively separate Coorg State, at which point it was merged into an enlarged Mysore State. Coorg is the largest producer of Coffee in India. Also, it is one of the places with highest rainfall in India. Some of the most popular tourist attractions in Kodagu include Talakaveri, Bhagamandala, Nisargadhama, Abbey Falls, Dubare, Nagarahole National Park, Iruppu Falls, and the Tibetan Buddhist Golden Temple. Some tour operators provides best tour Packages to Coorg. Coorg is the most famous hill stations in Karnataka. It is also one of the top destinations of Karnataka Tourism. Here are some must visit places in Coorg.

Pondicherry

Pondicherry is the capital city of Indian union territory of Puducherry. Pondicherry is a popular tourist destination in South India. The city has many colonial buildings, churches, temples, and statues which, combined with the systematic town planning and planned French style avenues, still preserve much of the colonial ambience. While the sea is a popular draw for tourists, Pondicherry no longer has the beautiful sand beaches that once graced its coastline. The breakwater to the harbour and other hard structures constructed on the shore caused extreme coastal erosion and the sand from Pondicherry’s famous Promenade Beach was permitted to disappear entirely. Pondicherry is also popular for its eateries that cover a wide variety of cuisines ranging from French, Indian and Italian to Mexican, Thai and Chinese. Some restaurants also serve a unique Indo-French cuisine that gives tourists a taste of Puducherry’s colonial influences. Most popular eateries include Baker’s Street, The White Town Cafe, Zuka, Carte Blanche and La Maison Rose.