Why so Loud?

Posted by Pratik Deka
March 11, 2017

Some days back I read a joke on WhatsApp. The joke goes this way, “The great wall of China can be seen from space and Arnab Goswami’s ‘the nation wants to know’ can be heard from the space.” Why you speak so loud? Every time, anyone, anywhere asks him this question, Mr. Goswami replies it with a very reasonable and tough answer.

He’s been away from television for about a month and a half. He did his last Newshour debate on November 18, 2016. News flashed that after quiting from Times Now, he will start his own media house. And true, Arnab Goswami will soon lauch his start-up, a new news channel, a new journalism platform, and he named it “Republic”.

This year on January 8, Arnab Goswami delivered a powerful speech to a packed auditorium at the 2017 Under 25 Summit in Bengaluru. Here he talked about Republic. Now, seriously, the nation really wants to know the reason behind launching a new channel. From his speeches in the past few years we came to know his dreams and aspirations of an independent media and fearless journalism, the two elements which are often missing in today’s India.

In his last speech on January 8, he made it very clear about the reason behind launching Republic. He said, “For 10 years, in Lutyens’ Delhi, I have seen the decay and near demise of this beautiful profession of journalism that has been compromised beyond belief. You and me together will save Indian journalism from the influence of Lutyens’ Delhi. Take journalism outside Delhi, take it to Pune, to Guwahati, to Bengaluru, to Mumbai but out of the national capital. They are so compromised, so co-opted that they have no right to represent the people. In the recent incident of molestation that took place here in Bengaluru, 1500 police personnels stood as bystanders and almost 45 CCTV cameras went useless. The Home Minister, G. Parameshwara, turned the tables and dodged the fault on the women and criticized her dress code instead. So, I want to know where is the media of the country? What do they find interesting? The Samajwadi Party fights? The fear of media has gone, and we will bring back the fear.”

Arnab Goswami delivered this powerful speech expressing his beliefs on how an independent media should function. What journalists can and must do for the nation. Before the lauch of Republic he seek the support from everyone and hoped that he would be able to give what India actually needs from its journalists.

“Republic is not a channel; it’s a Revolution.”