All You Need To Know About WBJEE 2017

Posted by Chandrakala Radhakrishnan in Campus Watch
April 22, 2017

The West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination (WBJEE) is an examination conducted for the purpose of undergraduate admissions in the courses of engineering and technology, pharmacy and architecture, in the various institutions in West Bengal.

Earlier, entrance of the medical colleges of West Bengal were also a part of the WBJEE, but after the Supreme Court verdict in 2016, the admissions will be through the scores of the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET), instead of the WBJEE in the West Bengal.

Mode Of Exam

The WBJEE examination is an offline examination, i.e, only pen and paper based, for the admission in various courses in the government colleges and universities in West Bengal. An OMR sheet will be provided to the candidate to mark the answers.

Syllabus Of WBJEE

The questions in WBJEE 2017 will be asked from mathematics, physics and one of these subjects: chemistry/ biology/ biotechnology/ computer science/ computer applications. Mathematics needs to be studied thoroughly.

Exam Pattern

There will be two papers in the exam.

Paper 1 – Mathematics

Paper 2 – Physics and chemistry combined.

Scoring Methodology

The questions in the paper are divided into three categories.

Category 1 – In this category, only one answer option is correct and the marks allowed is one per correct answer. For each incorrect answer – 1/4th marks will be deducted.

Category 2- In this category, only one answer option is correct and the marks allotted is two per correct answer. For each incorrect answer – 1/4th marks will be deducted.

Category 3 – In this category, one or more answer options are correct and the marks allotted is two per correct question done. The combination of both answer options marked incorrect or one of the answer options marked incorrect will be allocated zero marks.

Eligibility Criteria

1) The candidate must be a citizen of India.

2) The lower age limit is 17 years, and there is no bar on the upper age limit for most courses.

3) For the Marine Engineering course, the lower age limit is 17 years, and the upper age limit is 25 years.

4) The candidate must qualify 10+2 final exams with atleast 45% in physics, mathematics along with another subject chosen.

5) The candidate’s qualifying 10+2 board must be recognised either by the Central government or the state government.

WBJEE 2017

WBJEE 2017 is scheduled to be conducted on April 23, 2017. The admit card of WBJEE has been released. It can be downloaded from the official website of WBJEE. The tentative date of the WBJEE result is June 5, 2017.

Many colleges in West Bengal accept the score of the WBJEE exam. The candidates can explore more about the colleges accepting WBJEE scores and shortlist the colleges as per their choice and preference.