Watch: The Heartbreaking Reason This Woman Wants To Cut Off Her Hair

Posted by Sourya Majumder in Domestic Violence, Video
April 4, 2017

Hair, the pride of a woman

While we will not give away the crux of the ad, this is one of the most impactful ad related to the topic.

โพสต์โดย Best Ads บน 2 เมษายน 2017

With over 500 cases reported in 2014, domestic violence remains rampant across Indian society. The seriousness of the issue is exacerbated by the fact that, despite being widespread, a culture of silence pervades around domestic violence – and many are content to let it slide as a ‘family matter’ or even a necessary part of life. Given that life in India is still defined by rigidly patriarchal gender roles, women often have to face the brunt of domestic abuse – and are expected to bear with it, silently. Talking about one’s own abuse and recounting one’s own trauma are never easy tasks, but when the society that you live in forces you to internalize such abuse and severely stigmatizes any discussion about it, it becomes near impossible to break this cycle of violence.

Which is why this video by Jui, a domestic abuse helpline, is important. While it places an undue and problematic emphasis on a woman’s “hair” being her “honour”, it clearly and powerfully underscores its point about how difficult it is to speak up about domestic violence, and why we must provide an environment where survivors can do so.

If you wish to speak to someone about domestic violence, you can contact Jui.