Put Women In Charge

Posted by disbin
April 26, 2017

I appreciate what a problem menstrual waste can be, but I must say I was staggered at the sheer volume of menstrual waste that accumulates in India’s big cities. I thought 17 tons a week was big out of Wellington New Zealand and had no conception of the huge volumes out of India. I know they have door to door waste collection, rag pickers who recycle the recyclables and earn a living from it. I wonder why no-one has provided an identifiable bag or container for the menstrual waste. I know they have challenged the providers of menstrual products to provide a disposal method, like a bag that composts but I can tell you from my own experience the tampon and pad companies don’t want to know. When I started my company I approached them with my designs and they said “having your period is a perceived negative,” whatever that means. Ultimately it means they don’t give a sh*t about the final resting place of their products. That’s called PRODUCT STEWARDSHIP.. of which they have none. I do have an answer but as the big companies are only interested in profits it will have to be women driven, not company driven.