Stop Hushing Depression

Posted by Kritika Mandiya in #LetsTalk, Mental Health
April 5, 2017
This story is in response to Youth Ki Awaaz’s topic for this week – #LetsTalk to start a conversation on the stigma around depression. If you have an opinion or personal story of dealing with or helping someone else deal with depression or suicidal thoughts, write to us here.

“Therapy? What even is that? Relax a little bit. You’re just over thinking.”

This is one of the million reactions that people get if they share their depression with the world. Let me correct that, one very subtle reaction because you can’t even imagine the reactions people actually receive. People are called maniacs, jobless, idiots and bored for one is “never really suffering” from depression because “depression does not exist.”

“It’s all in your head.” Because obviously. How are we eating right and going to college regularly if we’re suffering from depression right? For the love of god, people need to know that depression isn’t about curling up in a corner every night and cry. Depression isn’t mere bad eating habits and relationship breakups. Depression isn’t about not scoring well in your math exam. Depression is the ugly aftermath of all these little things coupled together.

Depression doesn’t always have to be about crying yourself to sleep, it is also about not being able to cry because you’re too hurt. Depression is about not being able to gather the guts to talk to someone about the things bothering you because you’re going to be labelled as a psychopath.

Stop hushing depression, it is not a lifestyle. Depression isn’t an easy way to seek attention. Depression is a slow death. It’s an umbrella with millions of scared beings sheltering themselves under it unknowingly.

Stop hushing depression. Hum pagal nahi hai.