The Over-priced Ipl Tickets

Posted by Shamanth BS
April 19, 2017

Years ago, summer in India was well-liked for the fixated habituations. But now, the time has changed, summer in India is more or less synonymous with the Indian Premier League. The glamorous league conducted by the wealthiest cricket authority in the world – BCCI is one of the most anticipated tournaments in the world. Under the umbrella of scorching sun, some of the cricketing-love-crowd in every nook of the country are always on the toes for the live action of their favorite stars. However, the overpriced tickets in some of the unregulated stadium’s like M. Chinnaswamy Stadium have turned into a barrier for the love of cricket.
India is a country where a large chunk of cricket lovers wait for a glimpse of the cricket stars and the IPL in summer provides an opportunity for it. But, the overpriced tickets and the unavailability of tickets to the public is shattering the dreams of cricket fans. In 2010 and 2012, the cost of tickets to witness the RCB in the swanky zones of the M. Chinnaswamy stadium in Bengaluru was 44,000 and 55,000 thousand rupees respectively. During IPL 10, the RCB tickets remain the same and most of the tickets are not available for a common man like you and me. A similar ticket in the recently concluded India vs Australia test match on March 6, cost Rs 1,250 (inclusive of beverages and food). But now, a ticket price for an IPL match is fifty times more than the ticket for a test match. It just ain’t cricket when it comes to the over-priced IPL tickets. The essence of cricket has been diluted as a money making tactic and we’ve all been handed down in the process.
The Karnataka State Cricket Association (KSCA) provides 4,500 complimentary tickets for the association members in Bengaluru every year and also for it’s 500 plus affiliated clubs all over the state. The tickets are distributed to elite clubs and the members who had registered with the organization years ago. The RCB tickets are doled out to corporates, Businessmen and other highly influential people in the city. Meanwhile, Most of the youth in the city struggle throughout the IPL season to get the cheapest ticket for RCB matches.
In India, a large number of population fall in the category of middle and the lower middle-class in terms of the economic parameter. A large portion of India is separated from the glamorous premier league. The IPL is not sporadic in proving that the league is meant only for the rich and the elitist in the country. Apart from the money from sponsors, TV ads, the contract from the BCCI – the hometown who organizes the cricket matches also clinches a share of an amount from the tickets. In 2008, Lalit Modi had said that the objective of IPL is to nurture and build local talent in the country. Unfortunately, the prime objective of the IPL is overshadowed by minting money throughout the league.