What Exactly Is Health ?

Posted by Ravindra Nath
April 18, 2017

The WHO defines health as ‘a complete state of physical, mental and social well-being, and not just merely an absence of disease’.
But, before accepting it, wait a second, pause and reflect-there is some problem in this definition. This definition is simply too OVER-IDEALISTIC and it considers health as a “static” condition, which in real life cannot be sustainable by most of the means available to an average person.
So, the “THINK-TANKS” across the globe are more or less agreeing on HEALTH as “a dynamic state of well-being characterized by a physical and mental potential, which satisfies the demands of life corresponding with age, culture, and personal responsibility”.

What I feel about health is that it’s all about ONE’S ABILITY TO KEEP HIM/HERSELF HAPPY, in any of the possible situations in real life-be it the exam time or be it the time to say goodbye to your loved one or being diagnosed with lifelong disease or be it the unavailability of internet!

Of course, happiness has different meaning for every individual and each one has their own “understanding” and “interpretation” of happiness. For someone, it can be scoring highest marks in university or for someone it can be getting cured from a life threating disease, or for someone it’s about finding true love or for someone it could be all about getting 2 meals of bread!

So, irrespective of the meaning of happiness, if someone is REALLY happy, it means s/he is Healthy or at least I would like to think this way!