Word ‘friend’ Is Gender Neutral!

Posted by cheenu sharma
April 4, 2017

In English language, almost every word has a proper meaning with relation clarity except one word ‘friend’. In simple terms, it means a person who has a strong liking for and trusts in another person or a person who is not an enemy and who helps or supports us. Since our childhood, we start making friends.

But in our Indian society for a girl, a friend can only be  a girl and boy as a friend for boy only. But, if we say “anyone” who supports us is our friend then why such gender typical thing is attached to it. According to my view, a friend need not only be a girl for a girl and boy for a boy. It can be other way also.

Sometimes a girl from the very beginning since school time understands a boy more than his guy friends. But, our society gives such friendship the status of relationship on their own which is very wrong legitimacy being followed in our culture. We also have heard a sentence being used at our home, school etc. so many times that- a boy and a girl can never be friends!  According to O’Meara-

People don’t know what feelings are appropriate toward the opposite sex, unless they’re what our culture defines as appropriate.”

It’s really difficult to deal with the “Public eye” which is an eye of Doubters. Our Society may not be wholly ready for friendships between men and women that have no sexual subtext. People who have close friends of the opposite sex are often bombarded with nudging, winking and skepticism: “Are you really just friends?”I mean why this is such a big issue even in our modern day.

But, I think  today male-female friendship is becoming not only a possibility but also a necessity. If men and women are to work, play and co-exist in modern society, I believe men and women must learn to understand and communicate with each other by becoming friends since childhood. It is rightly said that,

Having a soul mate is not always about love. Rather you can find a soul mate in your best friend as well”