Zindagi Na Milegi Dobaara (2011)

Posted by Gargi Batabyal
April 24, 2017

Dilo mein apni betaabiyaan leke chaal rahe ho, toh zinda ho tum

Life is not only a metro system of veins and a heart pounding. There are also the lungs that fill up the soul with air: the epitome of freedom and strength. Zindagi na Milegi Dobaara talks about the inertia of truth and the exploration freedom in its two hours running time. A successful debut by Zoya Akhtar, ZNMD is co- written by Reema Kagti. Screenplayed by Carlos Catalan: this is a road movie that is must in your goodie bag of movies, not because it will rekindle your friendship goals but will make you feel every breath of your presence on Earth.
Three musketeers from school Arjun, Kabir and Imran plan a bachelorette trip to Spain for Kabir and their pact lies” Darr ke aaage jeeth hain” , to move away from the phobias they have. As the trip begins, the bitter rivalries crop up to the road often diverting the trail of the movie map. But this isn’t a disappointment, because with Zoya Akhtar’s smart storytelling, you know where you are actually placed. Once you hop to Mumbai, to Delhi and then via Seville: when you reach the final scene- you realize not only you have seen the culture of a nation but have also spoken the unspoken words to yourself. ZNMD makes you realize that life isn’t a goal that has to be achieved, but it is journey where the bumps too are enjoyable.

Success is a dangerous thing, you see. It’s like a cancer- it spreads more, the more you tear it. So nurturing this success inside as a financial broker at London, when Arjun lands up in Spain- he never knew that he would say later” Trip khatam ho rahi hain…jaise school shuru”. A perfect family man and with a successful fiancé by his side, Kabir too, in this journey with every turn made his spirit high achieving life’s goals for himself: not for his perfect family. Imran: the man with a natural flicker of giggle punch on life also opened his bag of secrets only to live more. The other characters like Laila: was the starlit path to the lost sailor –Arjun. She with her guidance under the sea or at the journey proved that the day is meant to be seized, the moment is meant to be lived. While Imran’s mother Rahila (Deepti Naval) and kabir’s fiancée Natasha (Kalki Koechlin) brewed to the blame game of life, they too gulped down life’s own circumstances.

ZNMD blinks a cheer to the workaholic as it shows that life is a colorful palette of emotions, where truth (be it fair or bitter) welcomes one for a hug. From Nasseruddin Shah’s baritone and natural acting to Farhan Akhtar’s punch lines of jokes and Hrithik Roshan’s flamboyance to our dear mate Abhay Deol’s masochistic mannerism: ZNMD will melt your heart and ask you to pull the third gear of life. It’s time for a break, it’s time for a time turner- go the sun baked streets, paddle across the river, ride a bike or make a friend- life blooms when you water your mind garden. Its spring time folks!

P.S: the songs by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy and the sprinkle of tango with the wines and the grape vines- Spain welcomes the traveller inside you with a “puedro  entrer!”