10 Things That Define The Essence Of SGTB Khalsa College

North Campus is the heart of the top ranking ‘elite’ colleges of Delhi University. Most students aspire to be a part of these prestigious and sought after colleges of the university. One such college is Sri Guru Teg Bahadur Khalsa College located in North Campus. It is one of the oldest and most prestigious institutes of Delhi University. And if you ever want to be, or are a part of this adventure named Khalsa, here are few things you should know about this college:

1. Breaking Stereotypes

Starting with the very name of the college ‘SGTB KHALSA’. People come with preconceived notions of a place with Sikhs wearing colourful turbans, which is totally not true. Here, you will find a diversity of cultures and not just a centred community of Sikhs despite the college having reservations for Sikhs.

2. Location

Khalsa is conveniently located, as it is situated near the GTB Nagar Metro station. It is also walking distance away from well-known markets such as Kamla Nagar, Patel Chest, GTB Market and Hudson Lane.

3. Jannat

Yes! The name itself defines the place, located at the center of the college. It is also called ‘Nukkad’. The place is a hub of almost all activities that happen in the premises. From ‘Strokes’ (the fine arts society) displaying various art forms to ‘Pinhole’ (the photography society) featuring its best photos. From ‘Ankur’ (the dramatics society) performing street plays and nukkad nataks to ‘Swarang’s (the musical society) melodious performances, Jannat/Nukkad is where it all happens. The place is called so, because of its beautifully maintained lawns and lovely trees, surrounded by benches.

4. Sports Infrastructure

As you go further into the college, you will find a large sports ground which is accompanied by a synthetic tennis court. There’s a table tennis academy and a state of the art gym which is well maintained and is surely a haven for students.

5. Ankur

‘Ankur’, the dramatics society of Khalsa College has been known for consistently being vocal about social issues. Khalsa is widely known also because of ‘Ankur’, and its incredible theatre performances.

6. Langar

Honouring the college’s name ‘Shri Guru Teg Bahadur’ and Sikh culture, Khalsa holds langars occasionally on various events, which is a unique thing on its own, for this college.

7. Library and CCD

Khalsa has an excellent two storey library which is digital and fully air conditioned. It also provides free wi-fi to the students. There is a ‘Café Day Express’ run by Cafe Coffee Day outside the library, with various vegetarian and non-vegetarian snacks and a delightful range of drinks.

8. Bhangra Society

It is considered to be one of the best Bhangra societies in Delhi University which has been known to present amazing Bhangra dance performances in and out of Delhi. It also attracts all kinds of students from different cultures and backgrounds.

9. Hostel Facilities

The hostel provides accommodation facilities with air-conditioned rooms. It is close to the gurudwara within the college premises and the gym. There, however, remains the issue of curfew timings.

10. Lashkara

Last but not the least, Lashkara is the annual fest of Khalsa which highlights the glory of its name by organising various mesmerising events, and is often known for its star performances by famous Punjabi singers such as Diljit Dosanjh, Jassi Gill and many more.

_

Images provided by the author.