All my insignificant dreams

Posted by Anica Bushra
May 9, 2017

Few months back, we welcomed a new member in the house who is one of those rare specie in our family, a ‘Delhiite’ from Chandni Chowk. She is my aunt now and as I have a tendency to ruin my quite and complacent image by debating with my relatives, I gave in and went on discussing with her on the issue of ‘women’s rights’. I have tried a zillion times to not speak on matters of importance because it frustrates me to see how narrow minded and ignorant people can be. And as the topic of discussion was such, it left me drooling over to engage in it. It often frustrates me to see that people term the views of libertines- things that I read, things that I believe and I want to believe in as impractical and baseless. It aggrieves me to extents I cannot describe. I couldn’t sleep that whole night thinking that what I live and breathe, the idea of freedom, of my identity as not a second class citizen, of my rights and my views and my opinions are but a utopia. That these can never be achieved and the hopeful class is so few in number. It aggrieves me to see that people still think that it is the stupidity of women that makes them the victims of rape, that she loses her ‘honor’ after being raped and that the society is justifies in rehabilitating the rapists. It aggrieves me to see that people still believe that the one deprived of muscular strength and power is weak and that muscle power is the only form of power. That there is no difference between being cultured and being patriarchal .As I pick up the morning newspaper, I contently believe that its editorials are the reflection of today’s progressive society and I start to take comforts in the delusion that patriarchy is now a myth. And this, mainly because I had not encountered In years(except for my mother ) someone filled with so much of misogyny. I loved to believe that the society is transforming and progressing and the world is finally a just place. I was gravely wrong. It’s screwed in its nooks and nuances and it reeks with hopelessness.  Listening to her was like questioning the very foundations of my existence: Am I living in my own ivory tower? Are our ideas of equality too ideal? Am I not behaving appropriately in this system? Am I uncultured and an outcast for having ‘too radical’ a viewpoint? And It’s so radical and extreme that it asks for rights as basic as freedom, rights given by law but not by society. And after this self-contemplation, I wish (an another insignificant) that I too were as ignorant as you, I would have smiled more. This frustration would never have been there.