Bank Probationary Officer | Clerk Exam (ibps Po/clerk)

Posted by Divya Jain
May 2, 2017

Indian Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) is an autonomous body which helps Indian banks in personnel selection services. IBPS announces a Common Written Exam for the selection of officers and clerks in banks in India.

IBPS is mandatory for those who want their future as officers and clerks in Public Sector Banks and Rural Banks (RRBs). Exams are conducted periodically and are organized in different locations. The mode of this exam will be online.

ibps cwe - PO/Clerk
ibps cwe – PO/Clerk

IBPS Common Written Exam (CWE)

It is one of the most difficult exams conducted in India, the selection ratio of which is 1 out of a 1000. Exams forms and its notification are available at the official site of IBPS. Admit card are also made available online on the official sites of IBPS, from where candidates can download them easily.

IBPS conducts different exams for the selection of Probationary Officer, Clerk and Specialist officers. For recruitment of Probationary Officers IBPS conducts an exam with a name IBPS PO and for Clerical recruitment, as IBPS CLERK. Both the exams mainly have the same process of conducting the exam in the form of TIER 1 (Prelims) and TIER 2 (Mains) . But IBPS PO exam also includes tier 3 – Interview Process.

TIER 1 is PRELIMS and TIER 2 is MAINS. Those who clears the PRELIMS Exam are only allowed to give the MAINS. Prelims is relatively easier than that of MAINS.

IBPS Bank Clerk Exam

IBPS Clerk Prelims Exam

Following the pattern of IBPS PO, IBPS Clerk is also conducted in two tiers, PRELIMS and MAINS.

MODE:-It’s an objective type paper.

Negative Marking: – 0.25 marks from the total score for every wrong answer made by the candidate. There is no negative marking for not attempting any question.

Time Limit Allotted: – Duration of this exam is 1 hour. Subject pattern as follows:- (1 mark for each Question)

Subject Questions Marks
English 30 30
Reasoning 35 35
Numerical Aptitude 35 35

IBPS Clerk Mains Exam

After clearing PRELIMS candidate is entitled to appear in MAINS following the same procedure as IBPS PO.

MODE:-It’s an objective type paper.

Time Limit Allotted: – Duration of this exam is 2 hours. Subject pattern as follows:-

Subject Questions Marks
Reasoning 50 50
Quantitative Aptitude 50 50
General Awareness 40 40
English 40 40
Computer Knowledge 20 20

Candidates are selected for clerical cadre based on the IBPS Clerk Result (Prelims + Mains). The final selection of candidates is done on the basis of their rank in allotment list.

IBPS PO (Probationary Officer) Exam

IBPS PO Prelims Exam

Firstly Prelims Exam is conducted which is relatively easy.

MODE:-It’s an objective type paper.

Time Limit Allotted: – Duration of this exam is 1 hour. Subject Pattern of the PRELIMS EXAM can be understood as follows:-

Subject Questions Marks
English 30 30
Reasoning 35 35
Numerical Aptitude 35 35

IBPS PO Mains Exam

After clearing prelims exam candidate is entitled to appear in ibps po mains exam, which is comparatively harder and dates of which are declared at the time of PRELIMS Exams.

MODE:-It’s an objective type paper.

Time Limit Allotted: – Duration of this exam is 2 hours. After clearing PRELIMS Exam candidates have to appear for MAINS dates of which are declared at the time of PRELIMS Exams. Subject Pattern of the EXAM:-

Subject Questions Marks
Reasoning 50 50
Quantitative Aptitude 50 50
General Awareness 40 40
English 40 40
Computer Knowledge 20 20

IBPS PO Interview Process

Common Written Exam is followed by Common Interview conducted by IBPS at various locations for those candidates who clear the MAINS. After which merit list is announced on the basis of marks scored by the candidates in the CWE and an interview. Basically marks of CWE and interview is divided in the ratio 80:20.

Candidates are asked questions related to Banking Awareness to know his/her knowledge about Banking. Candidates are also questioned about Current Affairs and General Awareness related to Polity, History, Science, Agriculture, Sports Awards etc.

Final Selection & Cutoffs

After completing the process of interviews a final rank list is made by the board which is used to fill vacancies in the banks in the coming 1 year as per the scores gained by the candidate relating to the cut offs.

IBPS PO Result & Cut offs are declared after completing the entire process of CWE and interview. Cut offs can be varied state wise regarding the vacancies available with that state. If a state is having less number of vacancies then the cut offs of that state for the same exam will be higher than those states which are having large number of vacancies.