This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by ashleykornee. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

How Depression Got To Me In College, And What I Did To Cope

More from ashleykornee

Depression during your college days is something that hits hard when exams starts looming over the horizon. Sometimes it can become too much. And in tragic cases, students are left with permanent psychological scars that prove troublesome for the rest of their lives. Dealing with depression when studying is difficult without any support from someone who understands you. People who do, however, are usually our peers who are going through the same problems themselves.

The reality is that we always come out the other side and we are usually no worse for wear, even though we lost sleep and anxiety became our best friend for a short period. But how do I cope with deep depression while studying, still manage to get some work done despite the stress, and achieve everything else that comes with it?

The Reasons Why

As far as I can tell, the majority of people going through exam-related depression are the ones who have been slacking off during the semester. Sure, you might not be doing it on purpose. Procrastination is sometimes really hard to resist–we all do it sometimes. But the reason why most of us feel depressed while studying is that we have too much work to do in too short a period of time. Not only that, but we have been avoiding the issue of doing college work on time and clearing our schedule before the exams hit. But this is also only partially true. Mane of us have to deal with tuition costs and pay for everything by ourselves for one reason or another. Not everyone can afford to have a scholarship and take part in side activities on the campus. They have to do well, otherwise they might have to pack up and go home. This is a terrible situation that no one should find themselves in, but it’s the truth nonetheless.

The main reason for college depression however is the feeling of being misunderstood by everyone. Our professors dole out huge amounts of work, our families think we are avoiding them, and our friends feel like we have abandoned them. In reality, we are buried under all kinds of obligations.

Venting

Not everything is dark and hopeless, despite how it may look at first glance. People have been finishing college for years before we became students, and will continue to do so for years to come. This means that college is completely doable, but there is a learning curve to it. Everyone needs to reflect on who they are at one point or another, and realise what their capabilities and needs are. This is the first step in discovering what kind of system works best for you, personally.

Finding a way to vent your brain every once in a while is essential in making sure that you don’t lose grip in college. When I really feel like I’m overworking myself, I contact myessayslab.com and ask for help with my college papers–it helps me deal with stress a lot. Some other activities or pass-times that you can try out include:

• Jogging and walking outside to help you get fresh air and think clearly again
  • Listening to soothing music (without lyrics) while lying in bed to help you calm down and focus better
  • Calling your family or friends and talk about your problems, because keeping everything inside will make you feel worse
  • Eating more vegetables and fruit, because fixing your diet is essential in making you feel better
  • Sleeping for at least eight hours a day.
  • Taking regular breaks and stretching your legs, take time off from studying for hours on end, something that makes you nervous and filled with bad thoughts
  • Stop overthinking! Focus on the present and the work you have in front of you; thinking about the future won’t make anything happen before it’s supposed to happen
  • Setting realistic expectations–you know yourself better than anyone; don’t aim too high or too low on your exams and you will find your perfect balance

I used these when I felt like my world was turning upside down, and these tricks work for me personally. You can think of your own ways to get your groove back. There isn’t a clear rule as to how you can go about it, because everyone is unique in their own way.

Coming Out On The Other Side

The best way to deal with deep depression while studying is talking to a senior or a professor who went through the same problems you face. Believe it or not, your professors will be more than willing to help out and talk to you about prioritizing work, give you pointers as to how to study and how to get more done in less time. Moreover, talking will make you realise you are not alone.

The main problem of procrastinating during exam period is that we rarely see the end result that’s coming our way. It’s much easier to fire up a TV show or read a comic book instead of studying or writing papers. We are easily distracted by immediate satisfaction instead of looking at the big picture. Eyes on the prize!

Conclusion

Not coping with college depression can be dangerous. The first step in overcoming it is realising that it’s happening and that you need help. Feeling tense about you exams is perfectly normal, but if you work hard and give it your best, the results will come by themselves.

Don’t be afraid of speaking up if you are under a lot of stress and feel like you need someone to talk to. Keeping it all bottled up could result in bad grades and further misunderstanding from your family and friends. Don’t let that happen! Try to stay a step ahead during the entire semester. It’s the only way to stay productive and positive about college and everything that comes with it.

More from ashleykornee

By Aakash Deep

By Jyotì Pali