In Memory Of A Talented Friend Whose Mysterious Suicide Left Us Shocked

Posted by Anuja Mital in Society
May 8, 2017

Today marks the day that a young wildlife researcher Prashanth Ettaboina would have turned 24 years old. When we last spoke a year ago, I couldn’t foresee that it would be the last time I would get to speak with him.

I vividly remember my first memories of Prashanth from three years ago as I had the good fortune of being his classmate when I decided to join AVC College in Tamil Nadu. AVC College offers a full-time masters course in wildlife biology, and over the years has produced quite a few notable alumni, like Dr Ravi Chellam – Director of Greenpeace India, Dr K Sankar – now Director at the Salim Ali Centre for Ornithology and Natural History (SACON) and Dr K Ramesh – senior scientist at the Wildlife Institute of India (WII), to name a few.

I was the last to join the course out of all my classmates, and I struggled to adjust to the rural setting and the scorching heat in Mannampandal, a village 7 km away from the town Mayiladuthurai.

In the initial days when I was getting to know my classmates, I noticed that every morning, Prashanth would give everyone the widest, brightest smile while no one else bothered. My roommate and I often discussed that he had a very charming smile. The likes of which we had not even encountered in our time Xavier’s Mumbai. He was a true optimist in every sense of the word and soon enough, all of us in class had become his ‘macchas’.

Humble Beginnings

In the first semester, whenever one thought of Prashanth, one immediately associated him with the chant, “The power of Telangana!” He was deeply passionate and patriotic about the newly carved state and his hometown, a village in Kamareddy, about two hours away from Hyderabad.

He took pride in admitting to me that he was a first generation English speaker and the first in his family to be a graduate entering a postgraduate course. All of this despite having studied in an anganwadi school.

I too found this commendable that after a BSc in Forestry, he had chosen an off-beat course like wildlife biology and was following his passion despite his modest background, knowing that this field often has its limitations in terms of job security and finances.

Most of us in this field often take for granted our privileged upbringing or familial support but Prashanth had persevered and was daring to go.

A Rising Tiger Biologist

If you spent just five minutes with Prashanth, you’d have known just how crazy he was about tigers. I often felt his love for them and his enthusiasm for field work surpassed all of ours and might even have exceeded some of the eminent tiger biologists working today.

Prashanth Ettaboina

Through our masters, we often assisted local forest departments of Annamalai Tiger Reserve, Megamalai Wildlife Sanctuary, for their annual census activities and visited Sathyamangalam and Mudumalai Tiger Reserves in Tamil Nadu as part of our field visits, during which Prashanth learnt the skills of camera trapping, estimating prey densities and conducting transect surveys.

Whenever we came across a possible tiger pugmark, it was always amusing to watch him jump around enthusiastically. He would enjoy spending time in the forests and never get tired of even vegetation sampling, something most wildlife biologists are often weary of.

When the time came to decide topics for our dissertations, while most of us were faced with the uncertainty regarding which species to study and our areas of research, Prashanth had already made up his mind that he would work on tigers in Telangana and nothing else.

He was determined to document the presence of tigers in the new Kawal Tiger Reserve in Telangana and his focused pursuit of his interests led him to work with HyTiCoS (Hyderabad Tiger Conservation Society) under the guidance of Imran Siddique, the man behind Kawal Wildlife Sanctuary’s status of a tiger reserve.

Working in Kawal, monitoring prey abundance meant walking 10-12 kilometres a day even in the scorching sun and Prashanth was someone who would happily do this every day of his life, with the broadest smile if it translated into the conservation of wildlife, especially tigers.

His master’s thesis on “Assessing the Status of Habitat, Prey-Predator and Connectivity of Kawal-Tadoba Tiger Corridor in the Deccan Plateau of Southern India” is a testament to the months of hard work he dedicated to research. The study identified and mapped two low-cost paths -Tadoba to Asifabad range and Tadoba to Bejjur range of Kawal Tiger Reserve, within the corridor landscape, as the likely routes for tigers to move from Tadoba to Kawal.

The End Of A Bright Beginning

After graduating he proudly told all of his classmates that he was probably the first wildlife biology postgraduate from the new state of Telangana. He was all set on the path of continuing his research work, monitoring wildlife habitats in Kawal, when fate took its own course.

He had clear intentions of completing a PhD before thinking of settling down. Thus, the news of his mysterious suicide shocked us all, not only as this was the last thing we expected from a pleasant person like Prashanth, but because he was confident of achieving his decisive goals for his future.

It took all of us weeks to actually process and believe the news, even as everything was taken care of swiftly. As his closest friends and classmates struggled to find reasons and details, in a blurry few months, our coping mechanisms swept his demise under the rug.

But even as his loss has been difficult to comprehend for us all, including his family, it is an occasion to remember that survival is a gift and a secret of nature. Something we overlook when we study the very animals we are trying to save, as we get lost in tinkering with our equipment and data.

I can without a doubt state that he would have easily established himself as an authority on tigers in Telangana within a few years, with his level of commitment and dedication to research. It is indeed woeful that the conservation and research community in India has lost this budding wildlife biologist and passionate advocate for tiger conservation.

I hope that this short note might serve as a tiny blip of a reminder of Prashanth’s life. He was a bright researcher and I had the privilege of being his friend and classmate. He could have become a crusading protector of tigers in India.