Colon Cancer Description:
Generally, colon cancer treatment mainly depends on the extent to which cancer has spread. If cancer hasn’t spread beyond a specific stage, the first treatment to cure such a cancer is the surgery. Not just that, but in such a scenario chemotherapy can be used as well. Mostly, such treatments last only up to 6 months. Furthermore, apart from the cancer stage, other factors are considered as well before recommending any surgery.
Colon Cancer Procedure:
There are different types of procedures to treat different colon cancer stages. For those who are in the early stage, a simple surgery is used, which mainly depends on the extent of cancer.
- Polypectomy & Local Excision: It is used to treat stage 0 and early stage 1 of colon cancer. Polypectomy is done by passing a wire loop through colonoscope so as to cut the polyp. And, Local Excision is used to remove cancer as well as the tissues from the colon wall.
- Colectomy: This surgery is used to remove all the parts of the colon, including the lymph nodes present nearby.
- Diverting Colostomy: If the colon cancer has spread beyond a point and tumors are blocking the colon, this surgery is used to relieve the blockage.
Colon Cancer During Procedure:
Colon Cancer surgery should be performed by only best and skilled doctors. It starts by making the patient unconscious with anesthesia.
- If the cancer is in the early stage, doctors remove it without cutting the abdominal wall.
- If the cancer is larger, the doctors not only remove cancer but a few healthy tissues surrounding cancer as well.
- Once cancer and the tissues have been removed, the doctors then sew the healthy parts of the colon.
- If the doctors failed to sew the ends of the colon, they create a stoma (opening) outside the body for the waste to pass through.
Colon Cancer Post Procedure:
Following the surgery, it is common to experience abdominal pain. Over time, the pain will gradually increase. If the doctors have prescribed any pain reliving drugs, you can take them up. Here are some of the steps that you can imply to take care of yourself post -surgery:
- Support your abdomen with a cushion.
- Avoid doing such activities that would put a strain on your wounds and abdomen.
- If the stitches are still there, keep them clean.
- Eat small meals frequently until you get your normal appetite back.
Youth Ki Awaaz is an open platform where anybody can publish. This post does not necessarily represent the platform's views and opinions.