South Indian state Karnataka is a home for travelers with its pilgrimages, historical sites, waterfalls, beaches, hill stations, palaces and many other attractions. Coorg is one of the best hill station in south India.
Coorg is one of the best travel destinations in Kodagu district of Karnataka, it is also called as Madikeri. The name is came from Muddu Raja Keri (Mudduraja’s town), named after Haleri king Mudduraja. He ruled Kodagu from 1633 to 1687.
Mysure is the nearest town to coorg, which is 120 kms and Mangalore is 136 kms away.
List of Places to visit in Coorg
1. Raja’s Seat – A small view piont which is favourite recreation spot for Kodagu kings. It is one of top places to visit in Coorg.
2. Madikeri fort – The fort was built by Haleri king Mudduraja.
3. Omkareshwara Temple – Temple was built by the king Linga Rajandra II in 1820,dedicated to lord Shiva.
4. Abbey falls – Most visited water falls in Karnataka with a breath taking view.
5. Dubare Elephant Camp – Elephant training center on the banks of Cauvery river.
6. Cauvery Nisargadhama – A river island & One of the most scenic places in Coorg.
7. Tibetan Monastery – Also Called as golden temple. After Dharmashala, second largest Tibetans settlement in India.
8. Nagarhole National Park – One of the best wild life sanctuary in south India.
9. Irupu Falls – Magnificent water falls in Brahmagiri hills.
10. Mallali Falls – one of the best water falls in Karnataka formed by Kumaradhara river.
Trekking & Adventures Activities in Coorg
1. Tadiyandamol Peak Trekking – Second highest peak in Karnataka.
2. Pushpagiri Hills/Subrahmanya Hills Trekking – Second highest peak in Coorg, at an altitude of 5626 feet.
3. Brahmagiri Hills Trekking – Most prefarable trek in coorg, at an altitude of 5357 feet.
4. White Water Rafting – water rafting at upper Barapole river. This is the top water rafting attraction in South India.