Why did Indian Army take two weeks to inform about the cross-border strike?

Posted by Utsav Basu
May 23, 2017

Self-Published

While the country lauded the Indian Army for a surgical strike across the border in September last year, a similar operation was yet again undertaken by the Indian Army reportedly on May 9.

It is truly a time for the nation to stand up and shout our lungs out in support of the Indian Army and boost their morale. However, while raising eyebrows would mar the enthusiasm of those who guard our borders and ensure a peaceful sleep for us, a few things are seriously unmistakable.

India, on September 29, had claimed to have carried out a surgical strike by crossing the Line of Control and entering 3 km inside the Pakistani side to kill terrorists and whoever shielded them in a bid to curb cross-border infiltrations and to avenge the Uri Attack. On September 29, India woke up to the news of our Army of having conducted a surgical strike. Accolades came flowing from across the globe to salute the valour of the Indian Army.

However, this time, whatever reports suggest till now, the Indian Army had decimated Pakistani Army front lines that house terrorists in an attack on May 9. According to sources, Bofors guns were used to carry out the attack along with other weapons. While the news makes us happy, it is a bit hard to gulp it down. India woke up to the news of the 2016 surgical strike on the very morning when the attack was carried out. And this time, 14 days after the attacks were carried out did we get to know that our Army had carried out the attack to curb infiltration for which the nation was waiting.

What took the Indian Army so long to come up with the video and photographs that suggest that the attack was carried out? What was the Indian Army waiting for when the citizens of the country already knew and were in full-throated support of the Indian Army after the bugle was blown by Vice Chief of Army Staff Sarath Chand on May 2 who said: “I do not want to say what we will do. Instead of speaking, we will focus on our action at a time and place of our choosing,” after two Indian soldiers were mutilated.

A certain section of media has also countered Pakistan Army’s claims that say that the Indian Army is lying about destroying its post. On Tuesday, official spokesperson of Pakistan Army Maj Gen Asif Ghafoor tweeted from his handle @OfficialDGISPR that: PR275/17 Indian claims of destroying Pakistani post along LOC in Naushera Sec and firing by Pak Army on civilians across LOC are false. (sic).

The counter that the Indian media are using is his May 13 tweet that says: PR260/17 Any Indian Army misadventure across LOC ‘ll be a miscalc,shall be responded with full force & could lead to unintended consequences (sic). However, the lackadaisical attitude of both sides raises an eyebrow. If we are to believe that the Pakistani General is referring to the Noushera attack of May 9, then the late lateef kind of a reaction of the Pakistan Army on May 13, which is four days after the attacks, is again hard to buy.

While we stand by our Armymen and salute our protectors for ensuring us a peaceful sleep, the new Defence minister Arun Jaitley have some answers to give; primarily why did the Army take two weeks to inform about the attack that would make all Indians proud of our armed force.

 

Youth Ki Awaaz is an open platform where anybody can publish. This post does not necessarily represent the platform's views and opinions.