All shades of skin!!

Posted by Aishwarya Ghuge
June 8, 2017

It was about yesterday, that I was watching TV and thinking about gender equality. Just then, an advertisement popped up – “Garnier Men Power Light”. Immediately a bulb glowed in my mind that this, “fairness” was one thing which at least treated both genders equally, with the expectation of fair skin from both!

But then, this arena has its own share of problems. Why do we need advertisements of “Fair And Lovely” for women, “Fair And Lovely” for men, “Olay White Radiance Brightening” and so many more? Why have we made beautiful and handsome synonymous with fair? Why is it that most  people with dark skin feel the need to use these creams? To change something that Nature has gifted them with?

There are of course various factors involved. One is that people get “inspired” by the stars who promote these fairness creams. Hats off to people like Kangana Ranaut and Ranbeer Kapoor who refuse to endorse such brands. And when it comes to the rest, we really need to put forward our self respect for who we are and not get influenced by the people we see on screen.

But then, the question arises that how did these fairness creams come into existence? Since time eternal, fair skin has been considered as a sign of beauty. Perhaps, this has been ingrained in us ever since. But now we are in the 21st century. In a constantly changing and moving world, we need to accept and feel pride in the way we are made. Confidence in us and in our own bodies is the only thing which will keep us sane.

This reminds me of a fascinating story. A dark skinned boy is in love with a fair skinned girl. So one fine day he proposes to her. She looks at him scornfully and replies, “You are as black as my hair! Give me one reason why I should say yes to you?” The boy, although heartbroken, replies,”I can give you two. You could say yes because not once did I hesitate in proposing to you even though you are fair like the skin beneath my feet. Also, my red heart and your red heart do not know the colours of our skin”

Moral of the story? We are all human beings, have the same red blood, same emotions, same interior. Then why are we divided on the basis on colour? When colour is something that we are born with, which is not in our hands to naturally change then why do we judge each other on it? I think we all, as individuals should aim for a better world. A world in which all shades of skin are appreciated and loved! And I truly hope this article helped towards that aim.

As Muhammad Ali said, “Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn’t matter which colour does the hating. It’s just plain wrong.”