Book Cafe By Prisoners in Shimla

Posted by arrushchopra
June 4, 2017

NOTE: This post has been self-published by the author. Anyone can write on Youth Ki Awaaz.

A first Book Cafe recently opened at Takka Bench, Ridge in Shimla. It is inaugurated by Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh.
The cafe is currently run by jail prisoners Jai Chand and Yograj and is funded by the State’s Tourism Department and Prisons Department. The initiative allows them to interact & integrate with people & society. It also helps them to earn wages to financially support their families.
The person at the counter is Yograj (in picture) who is handling customers and managing orders and stock. He works 7 days a week till 9 p.m. everyday.
The menu includes Tea/Coffee, Pizza, Burgers etc. and a variety of books are there, including environment, wildlife, state and novels. Seating capacity is about 40 persons.
Maintaining good behaviour with customers helps them to cut short their punishment.
We must appreciate a good step by Govt. Of Himachal Pradesh and Somesh Goyal, IPS , Director general.