Beware Of Uncle Sam: Advice To India As It Pushes To Develop Better Ties With The US

Posted by Munawar Hussain in Politics, Staff Picks
July 1, 2017

On Monday, June 26, 2017, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer released a statement claiming the US had evidence that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad was preparing again to use chemical weapons against his own people.

If, however, Mr. Assad conducts another mass murder attack using chemical weapons, he and his military will pay a heavy price,” wrote Spicer.

Prior to this, a joint investigation by the United Nations and the global chemical weapons watchdog (Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons-OPCW) had blamed Assad for the gas attack on Khan Shaykhun earlier in April. Though so far, no evidence has been disclosed by state department related to the accusation that Assad is about to carry chemical strike against his own people.

It seems American Foreign Policy has come up with a new strategy to revitalize its imperialistic dominance in third world countries. Statements like these are usually not made public, political pundits prefer to chew over these situations in a secret diplomatic channel. This open threat to the president of Syria is of grave concern and signals ominous developments in the geo-political arena.

Not coincidentally 14 years ago, on February 5, 2003, similar kind of statements were made by the then US Secretary of State, Colin Powell. He vehemently decried the ‘alleged’ possession of Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) by Iraqi President Saddam Hussein while addressing to the United Nations. And exactly after 42 days, the US along with coalition forces invaded the sovereign territory of Iraq. The Secretary took the help of multiple sources to impeach the President, he played intercepted tapes, gave an account of ‘human intelligence sources’ and cited the information gathering by satellite systems.

Colin Powell said, My second purpose today is to provide you with additional information, to share with you what the United States knows about Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction.

My colleagues, every statement I make today is backed up by sources, solid sources. These are not assertions. What we’re giving you are facts and conclusions based on solid intelligence. I will cite some examples, and these are from human sources,” he added.

His analysis was further endorsed by the then US President George W Bush. He said, At this hour, American and coalition forces are in the early stages of military operations to disarm Iraq, to free its people and to defend the world from grave danger.”

It was all lies and lots of lies.

On this fallacious pretence, Iraq was dragged to the bloody war for many years. The terrible repercussions of this fictitious war spearheaded by America paralyzed, ravaged and decimated the entire country. Furthermore, the phoney war declared by the US resulted in the creation of new age face of terrorism: ISIS, whose motivation comes from the ‘holy vengeance’ of the killing of their leader: Saddam Hussein. Colin Powell had invented these fabrications to essentially spark a war and display the USA’s military might in the Middle-east, as the US loves war, it truly does.

The United States since its birth 238 years ago, has fought around 70 wars. To quote from a Marketwatch column written by Paul Farrell after the Iraq war, “America’s economy is a war economy. Not a manufacturing economy. Not an agricultural economy. Nor a service economy. Not even a consumer economy.”

Deep inside we love war. We want war. Need it. Relish it. Thrive on war. War is in our genes, deep in our DNA. War excites our economic brain. War drives our entrepreneurial spirit. War thrills the American soul. Oh just admit it, we have a love affair with war,” he added.

Though 34th POTUS, Eisenhower warned American people about the rising disequilibrium between phenomenal consolidation of Military Industrial complex and public upliftment, no President seems to take notice of his premonition.

He had said, Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.

American economic institution drives its strength from the country’s mighty military establishment. Within the country itself, gun-manufacturing companies, arsenal enterprises contribute significantly to its economy and helps it to sustain. Outside the country, perpetual conflicts mostly led by the US and its allies act as a succor for its economic structure. Apart from this, occasionally, America enters into the multi-billion dollar military agreements with various countries to sell its military equipment and drain mammoth-like amounts of currency back to its country.

Kris Roman, Director of Geopolitical Research Center Euro-Rus, explains“This is not a secret, The whole [US] economy is built on the military theme: to maintain its economic growth, the United States needs a war every 4 years, otherwise the economic growth slows down.” 

Involved in dozens of enforced regime change stratagems on the pretext of installing democracy in different regions of the world—every change results in more disastrous condition—America is trying tooth and nail to reinvent itself as the modern imperialist and neo-colionalist in the world. Apparently, American policy makers along with media propaganda justify war and make the world believe that it is doing this to better the lives of people living under ‘dictatorial’ institutions.

The reality is far from this, in the context of the war-mongering policies of America in the Middle-East, it is pertinent to mention that destabilization of this part of the world is a boon for the US. The objective of ‘Greater Israel’, looting oil and other natural resources, countering the threat posed by Iran, is and has been the ultimate goal of American federal policy.

Accusing Syria of planning a chemical attack could be another move to push forward its dirty war and make its agendas heard to the world, and simultaneously it could prove to be great market to boost their military economy by dropping bombs and missiles on innocent people

Bottom line: For America, as it is repeatedly professed by their leaders, national interest comes first. India should be vigilant in developing and strengthening its ties with the US. America’s double standard was visible again when they pulled out of the historic and crucial Paris climate deal, citing that the agreement would cut millions of jobs.

The double standard foreign policy of America became more conspicuous when Donald Trump visited its main military arsenal procurer in Saudi Arabia and accused Qatar of siding with Iran and harboring terrorism. Though Saudi monarchy stroked with an iron fist, collaborated with other Gulf states and used political leverage to force Qatar not to nurture terrorism, few days after this development, American army initiated joint drills with Qatar defense forces. Not only that, a billion dollar military agreement was signed between the two countries.

Amid this Gulf crisis, Qatar continues to be home to vast Al-Udeid airbases that hold the forward headquarters of central command and hosts 10,000 American troops. Now, this scenario should be telling enough for India and other third world countries to not be ‘Foxed’ by American policies.