How I Learned To Find Joy Serving The Underserved Without Hoping For Rewards

Posted by Pooja Goswami in Society
July 26, 2017

She comes to me and laughs and chuckles. I fail to find the reason behind her happiness. She gives me a peck on my cheek and I wonder about her adorable gestures.

This is my everyday interaction with my daughter. Though she is only a little child, she understands the meaning of compassion. So just imagine how an act of kindness towards those who are deprived of basic necessities would turn their gloomy world a little more cheerful.

This mere thought turned my rational thinking upside down. An idea to utilise time in a more valuable and meaningful way struck my mind. As working professionals, our schedules keep us busy all day. We rarely consider spending our best moments with those who will cherish them.

And that’s when I decided to join people, who in some way or the other, were engaged in such activities. It didn’t take me long to join an NGO named Being Social – Ek Nayi Shuruat, where everyone works on major issues our society is facing – lack of early education, unhygienic conditions, the absence of cleanliness, malnutrition, reluctance towards environmental safety, negligence of the elderly and many other concerns. They have only one motto: to bring back the lost smile.

Every time I contribute a little towards the cause, I feel the difference within. A sense of slight accomplishment surrounds me. Not because I put in a significant effort but because I was able to provide even the slightest support to those who deserve it and more.

Here, the motive is not to preach about becoming social activists. Instead, for each one of us, there is an urge to share our moments of happiness with others. And once we do it, it is no wonder if we notice our own happiness being doubled.

A lot has been said and written on social issues and how detached human beings are becoming from one another. A humble request – don’t listen and read anymore. Do it. Try doing your part and be optimistic. Don’t expect miracles to happen in few days. Don’t think all these deep rooted social stigmas will vanish with the blink of an eye.

It might take longer than we thought. But believe me, our children – the coming generation – will be proud when they realise how we were continuously striving to create a better world so that they themselves could live in a world without any disparity among people and one which had less societal problems.

Amidst all this, don’t forget to follow your passion, hobbies and the things you love to do. If you like travelling, use your travelling experience to interact with the locals. Try to understand what brings them joy and what bothers them. If you love teaching, teach the ones who need education without expecting anything in return. If you love spending time with yourself, go for a walk amidst nature and understand how important it is to have trees to breathe fresh air. Trust me, all this will change the way we look at these issues.

In the words of the Dalai Lama, “It’s not enough to be compassionate, we must act.”

Volunteer because you want to. By volunteering, we create a bridge between self-consciousness and community consciousness. When we find pleasure in serving others without any expectations, we don’t feel burdened and consequently, our inclination intensifies. Look for a reason to serve, not rewards.

Image Credit: Being Social – Ek Nayi Shuruat