Cybercrime- The dark side of technology.

Posted by Avishek Majumdar
July 17, 2017

We all love to see geeky hackers hacking into secret facilities of government or someone’s personal digital space. Hacking has always been portrayed as a cool and thrilling job in the screens. But do we ever think “does it only happen in television shows? Can it happen to us?” Yes, it has been happening to us and it isn’t a thrilling experience at all. A hacker can claw into your most secret things, defame you or even loot you of your money and identity by some clicks of his fingers. Cyber crime or cyber bullying is the process of attacking or harassing someone by the means of computer, internet, cell phones etc. Like everything, internet and technology too has a dark side. The rise of technology has given birth to new crimes and new breeds of criminal. Cyber crime mostly happens through internet mediums like WhatsApp, Hike, Facebook, Emails, Sms, etc. Some of the common cyber crimes are phishing, identity theft, money scams and so on. Facebook and WhatsApp has with time become the ground zero for such criminals to defame someone through rumors or other methods especially the girls. The rate at which cyber crime in India is growing is very alarming. A rough estimate indicates that the rate at which incidents are growing annually is 107 per cent.
There has been a phenomenal rise in the number of cyber crime cases registered in Assam, according to the latest figures released by the National Crime Records Bureau. The report, titled Crime in India, 2013, which was released on Monday, shows that the number of cyber crime cases in Assam registered under the provisions of Information and Technology Act, 2000, leapfrogged from 28 in 2012 to 154 in 2013, an increase of a whopping 450 per cent. In terms of percentage increase of cyber crime cases, Assam is ranked second among the states in the country, only behind Uttarkhand.

Some precautions that we can take to safeguard ourselves are:

• -Avoid online banking, shopping, entering credit card details, etc if the network is not properly secured
    -Check your online account frequently and make sure all listed transactions are valid
    -Be extremely wary of e-mails asking for confidential information. Never ever click on a link given in a spam e-mail
    -Always delete spam e-mails immediately and empty the trash box to prevent clicking on the same link accidentally
    -Beware of lotteries that charge a fee prior to delivery of your prize
    -While using a credit card for making payments online, check if the website is secure as the CVV will also be required for the payment
    -Notify your bank/credit card issuer if you do not receive the monthly credit card statement on time. If a credit card is misplaced or lost, get it cancelled immediately
    -Do not respond to lottery messages or call on the numbers provided in the text messages
    -Do not provide photocopies of both sides of the credit card to anyone. The card verification value (CVV), which is required for online transactions, is printed on the reverse. Anyone can use the card for online purchases if they get that information.
    -Do not click on links in e-mails seeking details of your account, they could be phishing e-mails from fraudsters. Most reputed companies will ask you to visit their website directly.
    -Do not give any information to people seeking credit card details over the phone.