Review: ‘Jagga Jasoos’ Is A Hilarious Comedy Of Errors

Posted by Gulraj Bedi in Culture-Vulture
July 16, 2017

[Spoiler Alert]

The film “Jagga Jasoos” comes right out of a comic book full of adventures. Ranbir Kapoor and Katrina Kaif’s much-awaited film has finally hit the big screens. Director Anurag Basu’s first outing since “Barfi” was eagerly awaited by fans, and after a prolonged wait, the film has finally been released. Does it pack a punch? Ah, let’s find out.

Overview:

The film follows the life of a stuttering teenage detective named Jagga. Jagga’s parents have died in an accident. He is adopted by a kind-hearted man named Badal Bagchi. Badal tells Jagga that conveying messages in the form of songs would help him get rid of stutters. One fine day, Badal goes away without leaving a trace. The rest of the film follows Jagga’s quest to find his father.  He is accompanied by a troublemaking journalist named Shruti Sengupta. Jagga finds himself in the middle of a vicious arms smuggling racket and realizes that his father’s disappearance is a multi-layered mystery.

The Script:

The script could have been a bit tighter, but you can afford to make a few negligible errors while making a film as illogical as “Jagga Jasoos”. The film’s story works like a comic book. The screenplay has been structured as chapters from a comic book. The character of a teacher has been used as the film’s storytelling device. We get to dive deeper and deeper into Jagga’s life as the story unfolds.

Rating: 3 1/2/5

Performances:

Ranbir Kapoor forms the film’s heart and he has done absolute justice to the titular character. Vulnerability and innocence are a couple of emotions you’d be able to see on Ranbir’s face throughout the film. These emotions add immense charm to the character’s overall persona. The fact that he has sung all his dialogues rather than speaking them adds to the overall comic appeal. Our jolly little detective has striking similarities with Tintin.  Katrina, as Shruti Sengupta, lends able support to Ranbir. She looks cute, bubbly, and brimming with life. The fact that her efforts quickly turn into misadventures on several occasions makes you laugh and giggle. Stupidity, too, can be extremely pleasing to the eye if executed efficiently, and Katrina Kaif’s character in Jagga Jasoos succeeds in proving just that.

Sashwata Chatterjee as Badal Bagchi, Jagga’s foster father, successfully carried the entire first half on his able shoulders. The bond between the father and the son has been portrayed beautifully and will surely melt the viewer’s heart. Saurabh Shukla as the evil intelligence officer gives you an entire array of reasons to laugh. His attempts to look fierce fail quite badly. Despite having a limited presence, Shukla has pulled the most out of it.

Rating: 4/5

Music:

Just to reiterate, Ranbir has sung all his dialogues in the film. That is something unique. You don’t get to see the film’s protagonist singing out his dialogues every day. Pritam da’s music has nicely complemented the childish mysteries showcased in “Jagga Jasoos”. The film’s music gives you feeling that you too are a part of this fairy tale. As far as the soundtrack is concerned, all the songs fit-in quite well. If I was to select my favourites, I’d go with ‘Ullu ka Pattha’ and ‘Phir Wahi’. Vocals, given by Arijit Singh, Amit Mishra, and Tushar Joshi are as good as ever.

Rating: 4/5

Cinematography And Direction:

Ravi Varman’s cinematography is the guiding light of the film. All credit to him for nailing it. The locations, right from Kolkata to Manipur to Cape Town (shown as Mombacca) in the film have been shot brilliantly. The sequence featuring the toy train towards the fag end of the film is extremely eye-pleasing and is bound to make you smile.

Anurag Basu, the film’s director, deserves all the applause for coming out with such a brave idea. An idea to portray a fairytale was both novel as well as engaging. Despite having a relatively simple story, the narration is extremely rich and multi-layered. Basu’s creative juices have done wonders (if you look at the film as an illogical, bumpy ride.) The biggest problem engulfing large parts of India’s North-eastern states i.e. numerous cases of illegal arms being sold and purchased has been showcased remarkably well.  Films like “Jagga Jasoos” are not meant to be criticised, they’re meant to be savoured.

Rating: 4/5

Final Verdict:

Whatever you’re doing, just drop it and watch “Jagga Jasoos.” The film has its flaws but ends up packing a solid punch. There are sequences that end up creating a far bigger impact than the film itself. Watch it if you’re a fan of Ranbir Kapoor and for some breathtaking cinematography as well.

Overall rating: 4/5