MARRIAGE- A CONSCIOUS CHOICE OR COMPULSION?

Posted by Shivika Aggrawal
July 19, 2017

This is a poem in which I have tried to reflect the compulsive nature given to marriage in our society. There is no second thought in that the rate of divorces are growing. I feel that the hidden cause behind is that marriage rather being a conscious choice has been always a compulsive social norm.

She got twenty two and there was responsibility on her parents to get her married
To a boy who could take care of her
This idea of marriage for her was still a blur
She was asked to lose weight, apply face packs that could make her fairer and learn to cook delicacies
A life after marriage was narrated to her like that of a world of fairies
She wanted to work for bigger goals, live her own dreams on her own terms and go ahead in life
But because she has crossed her eligible age of marriage she was preached how to be a good wife
She wasn’t told that in one or two years she will be asked to have a baby
She will not be treated as a girl, but will be expected to behave, to be mature as a woman and grow up as a lady
I am not saying that one shouldn’t marry
But making it a compulsion often makes marriage a heavy baggage to carry
I don’t deny that marriage leads to a soulful bond of two individuals
It is a sanctified institution that has its deep roots in culture and rituals
The world now seems to be changed a bit where a girl can take care of herself of her own
Marriage should not be like that everyone should marry- made a social norm
Why generally marriage is not a result of a conscious choice or why is it portrayed as a compulsive necessity?
Relatives and neighbors always reminding parents of a girl of their responsibility
This compulsion later on when takes the face of divorce
Not only two individuals but their families and children have to go through a troublesome discourse
Marriage shouldn’t be made a compulsive social prescription for leading a meaningful life
But
It should be a conscious choice by two souls who are going to live together
Because for baraatis after band baaja baarat, how well both are partnering doesn’t matter