To those who had an eye on my blood stain

Posted by Mahima Sinha
July 24, 2017

One steamy afternoon as I go down the lanes near my house, I notice some stares and severe ogles behind and beside. It is then when I get home I realize and spot some blood stains at the back of my white skirt I was wearing over my pair of denim shorts. I was on my period. And it were those menace stares that made me write this today.

What is so loathful about some mousy, blood stains on my skirt?

I am a girl of fifteen and I got my first period when I was almost twelve and since then my mother had been cautioning about the “do’s” and “don’ts” during “those” days. She would tell me my responsiveness as a girl will always be marked by how cautioned  I am on putting my pads and how secure I am so as to not let a single drop leak. But it is not only I, but millions of girls, Who are mendaciously informed and wronged about menstruation. Like any other metabolic activity our body carries out, menstruation is just another in females. Like how we digest, sweat and breathe, girls menstruate as well involuntarily. So why on a simple leakage or on some blood stains on the back are followed by strong stares and whispers?

Centuries ago, among all the ill practicises normalized against women those days, ignorance was one such. And what does it make difference even today? 2017 is the era we’re living in, yet a word related to menstruation or pads is still ashamed to be spoken of on higher decibels in the public and is thus sushed.

If menstruation in a girl is something completely normal, why is it not normalized into the minds of the people?

A woman within is a deity with mazes crafted with all the qualities without which the earth and the seven worlds are incomplete. We all celebrate goddesses. Aren’t they considered to be mystic even if they menstruate? The Ambabashi Mela which is held annually in the premises of the Kamakhya temple marks the days in which Goddess Durga undergoes her period and a huge number of worshippers and pilgrims pay a visit to the holy gates yet a mentruatuating girl is however not able to attend anyway.

Now, isn’t it ridiculously ridiculous to be pretentiously ignorant of something every girl and every mother goes through?

So, what is the matter with those stares and comments?

What is the matter with that one pharmacist who on asking a packet of sanitary pads wraps a thick black plastic over it? 

And what is the matter with you if on reading this still consider a girl’s “period ” as something alien and to be whispered about.