What TIBET shares with the World ?

Posted by Dr. Bikash Kali Das
July 30, 2017

Dr.-Bikash-Kali-Das-with-Tibetan-Monk dharamshala

What TIBET shares with the World ?

Though it shares its Culture but The Tibetan Traditional Medicine goes back long with its origins coming from Indian Roots .

The Tibetan medicine is linked in everyday life , and it has kept the origins of Indian medicine alive , the practitioner  are worldwide and peoples benefited of it are numerous. Main significance is that it is more focused on peoples health rather than commercial benefit .

Chinese provinces of Qinghai, Gansu, Sichuan, and Yunnan knows the benefits of Tibetan medicine and origin of Tibetan medicine can be found in the  Chinese history too , Chinese has helped spreading Tibetan medicine across China and helped improving the quality of it through various research methods , But Tibetan medicine ‘Sowa Rigpa” is originated from Indian Ayurvedic medical tradition .

Tibetan medical science rose during the time of  Songzanganbu (one of the kings of Tibet) and continued period to the Chisongdezan (one of the kings of Tibet) , and it was formed on the basis of Tibetan traditional medical theories while absorbing and drawing on the theories of Chinese and Indian medical science . This is the reason the Tibetan Medicine roots can be found in the Indian and Chinese Traditional medicine .

The Origins of Tibetan Medicine . Does It belongs to Tibet  or India or China ? 

Tibetan Medicine is practiced in Tibet, India, Nepal, Bhutan, Ladakh, Siberia, China and Mongolia, as well as more recently in parts of Europe and North America

The CLAIM by China –

China claim over the legacy of ancient Tibetan medicine by filled a competing  bid to declare it under UNESCO’s intangible cultural heritage list.

“The Tibetan medicine system originated in Tibet and has developed on the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau in northwest and southwest China,” Qin Yongzhang,

In 2010, the Government of India officially recognized Tibetan medicine as an ‘Indian system of medicine’ called ‘Sowa Rigpa’.

Inside China has accelerated the development of Tibetan medicine and pharmacology. The central cabinet of China  has listed Tibetan medicine system in the first batch of China Intangible Cultural Heritage in May 2006.

Unesco will consider both countries’ bids at the organisation’s session in 2018.

Tibetan medicine is an assimilation of Ayurveda medical tradition whose roots are from Buddhism and many forms of Chinese .

“  I feel that Tibetan culture with its unique heritage – has developed some kind of energy, which is useful, and very helpful, towards cultivating peace of mind and a joyful life. I feel that there is a potential for Tibet to help humanity…I feel very strong that Tibetan culture will have a future role to play in humanity. So therefore, wherever there are spiritual centers like Auroville, if Tibet can participate it can be a channel to communicate Tibetan culture to other people.”

Dalai Lama address in Auroville, December 24th, 1993.

The article and the presentation wish to find answers to the claims of China and leaves the conclusion to the peoples of this World.

contact: Dr Bikash Kali das , [email protected]