WHO WILL TEACH THE TEACHERS?

Posted by Jeevesh Gupta
July 19, 2017

India officially has a literacy rate of 74% which has grown in leaps and bounds from 12% during the British era (pre-1947). While the whole government machinery has been working on increasing this number, it seems quality has taken a huge hit. The biggest debate in the field of literacy today is, how we can retain basic quality of education while trying to impart education to all.

Basic education is one area which surely needs attention but what is even more shocking is that we have opened teacher producing factories to increase their numbers for imparting education to more and more students. In the process even at this level there has been a huge compromise with quality. What we are seeing is a dismal quality of performance wherein teachers at university level cannot even get basic English grammar right. A recent letter received by a publisher from a university in Uttrakhand is a stark example of this reality. While we can all make fun and laugh reading the content of this email, we also need to think about “who would be teaching our future generations” and “what their writing/speaking skills will be like”!

To                                                                                                                  

The Publisher 

(Name Deleted)

Hello Sir,

I am an Assistant Professor in(Name Deleted). It is the largest college of (Name Deleted). We are glad to inform you that our session 2017-18 is start now and classes are running on approximately 1 august 2017. In Commerce department, 3000 thousand students are teaching in B.Com & M.Com. classes for quality educations. I am read many books of your publishing house, these books are written by famous writers and your books content are so prestigious for our students& research scholars. I am strongly recommended your publishing house books to our students.

I hope that you are sent me some specimen copies as soon as possible.  

• Principles of Business Management – (author name deleted)

• Indian Monetary System and Banking – (author name deleted)

With Regards.

(Name & Address Deleted)