Your failures only make you stronger…

Posted by Gulraj Bedi
July 7, 2017

“If you’re mentally unhealthy in the first place, it’ll definitely affect your body. The first thing you need to do is to accept it, and go through the difficult part thinking it’s a part of a much bigger scheme of things.”

Confidence is often viewed as something only a few people are born with the rest of them wishing to get a taste of it. It certainly won’t be an overstatement to call it a fickle companion. But, confidence, in all fairness, is not a fixed attribute. It depends upon the thoughts that fly through our mind and the decisions we take. It is an age-old fact that the beliefs we hold and the way we approach a task, help us in directing our actions and shaping our mindset.

During one of the countless interviews I had given while trying to get my hands on a job, I was asked by the interviewer: ‘When do you feel the most confident”?
Now, this question might appear quite straightforward on the face of it, but the answer isn’t that simple. Everyone has a different definition of confidence. A majority of people believe confidence is an external characteristic. People believe confidence has something to do with appearance. However, if the entire concept of confidence is deconstructed, we’d find three words that might just be adequate to capture the essence of confidence. These are self-belief, security, and trust.

I must also discuss insecurities because a lot of us are surrounded by them all the time. Personally, I’ve been undone by quite a lot of them. Cramming, or rather trying to cram an entire pile of godforsaken notes for the sheer sake of graduating is one such situation. I guess all of us can understand this. Studying for long hours is something that stresses me out. Then, there are social interactions. I feel like no one cares to be my friend and that only my family knows me because people aren’t bothered to know me enough to see me as myself.

But despite insecurities, I feel confident enough. And sometimes, it’s good to have insecurities about something as important as work, because those insecurities make us work harder.

I believe all of us have a unique story to tell. The degree of hardship varies. There are struggles, and challenges. I’m sure there are ups and downs, things we would have liked to have done differently, things we’re proud of. All of that is a vital part of our story. Instead of getting bogged down by the struggles and hardships that we’re subjected to, we must learn to embrace them.

The game of cricket has taught me quite a bit about adjusting according to the situations we’re subjected to. I’ve learned a lot of lessons through the game o cricket. One such lesson I’d like to share is a lesson in adversity. In life, we aren’t given a lot of liberties or guarantees. Our stories may be different, our hardships may also be different, but there’s one common link in all those stories. All of us, at some point in some way, shape, or form, are bound to face some kind of adversity or atrocity. All of us have gone through adversities and the thing that inspires us to keep on moving is the belief that despite hardships, we’d succeed.

To keep on moving despite limitations is as inspiring as it can get. That is a huge accomplishment. Because of all the adversities we face in our lives, we’re left with countless decisions to make. Should I continue? Would I lose belief in myself if I continue?

The biggest of problems we face today is, we begin with a task but we don’t end up finishing it.That goes for all of us. What I feel is people can have belief in themselves and finish what they have started. Whatever we come across in life ends up shaping our mindset and opinions. Sometimes, situations and circumstances don’t really go the way we want them to go, but that is exactly where we end up learning our lessons. We just need to make sure that we finish what we’ve started. Once we’ve finished something despite limitations and drawbacks, we’d be really proud of it when you look back at it in the near future.