100 साल के 50 गाँधी में एक गाँधी “सलीम बैग” RTI एक्टिविस्ट & सोशल रिसर्चर

Posted by Mohammad Aadil
August 30, 2017

ARCHITECT GAUTAM BHATIA wrote in one of his memorable rants, “there is a God sure but there is also Moradabad”. Saleem Baig once had both. He was 28 when the Moradabad Police allegedly desecrated the Quran while interrogating a religious leader. Instead of waiting for communal tit-for-tat, Baig filed a PIL demanding action. The arrival of the RTI fed the embryonic crusader. In 2007, an RTI of his ended in the State Information Commission penalising the SSP by 25,000 and ASP by 6,000. Baig was charged with criminal intimidation and assault. Though the court quashed the FIRs, he was flung in jail. The superintendent confessed he was under political pressure to torture him. Today, mired in a web of legal fabrications and broke, Baig is piecing his life back together. Religious inspiration is a thread in his life: he is working on about 250 RTI applications to reveal how funds meant for poor Muslims in UP are being misappropriated. He is still irrationally upbeat about his work.