This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Manipal Hospital. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Being Mindful About Weight Loss

More from Manipal Hospital

Weight loss is something that strikes everyone’s mind. At least once in the lifetime everyone has gone through this “weight loss” phase. Everyone wants to be fit and fine and they try their level best to burn down the fats and look slim and trim. But sometimes it becomes an obsession, and when desire becomes obsession, blunder happens. Sometimes people become so desperate to lose weight that they stop thinking about the side effects and start working out like crazy which ultimately weakens them. So if you desire something, you need to plan for it too. So is the weight loss. If you want to lose weight effectively then you need to keep some points before proceeding.

Workout in proper amount

Everyone knows working out burns the fats and carbs. But a few people know that the adequate amount of workout results in positive way. Just because workout burns the fats that doesn’t mean the more you work out the more you will lose weight. There is a mechanism and limitation that exercises carry. So heavy working out won’t get you desired results. So you need to prepare the best list for the amount of workout needed. Consult your gym trainer for better results or someone who have experience in this field because assumption is too dangerous for your health. Take reference from YouTube if needed but talk to someone experienced before preparing the chart.

Proper diet = proper health

Only workout won’t get you desired health. For that you need complimentary diet. Working out will burn all the carbs but you need proteins as well as minerals with the less amount of fats. Having proper maintained diet is an easy way to avoid fats without heavy workout. Choosing a proper diet is also very tricky. So never choose your diet only on your own. Always opt for proper dietitian for it because they know well what your intake should be and what you should avoid. So always try to take advice by a dietitian.

Consult Doctor first

This should be the first and foremost thing because every time you think you are fat or over healthy or too bulky for your height, that doesn’t only mean working out or maintaining a proper diet would help you out. There are many other reasons for this. There might be some hormonal problems which are causing this so before drawing any conclusion you should consult a doctor. Once you take a step it can’t be reversed so it’s better to take the precaution and opt for the doctor before doing anything.

Healthy lifestyle

If you are thinking only a diet or workout would solve your problem then you are wrong. A healthy lifestyle is the primary thing you must adopt. Having a healthy lifestyle includes doing things at perfect time like sleeping and waking up, having lunch or other diets at proper time etc. only a healthy lifestyle gives you the motivation of a proper health.

Losing weight is not a tedious job but it would seem easy if it’s done properly. If all the steps affecting are taken care of properly then your desire of losing weight can be fulfilled.

Not Everyone Lives Happily Ever After Weight Loss Surgery

Weight Loss Surgery is for sure gaining popularity among the people who suffer from obesity and has been verified as an efficient method to get rid of the excess fat from time to time, however, it is not necessarily satisfying everyone. The surgery is making people happy in some ways but is also causing loads of problems.  Most of the thesis regarding this matter has proved that the surgery leads to an increase in the quality of life; however, not everyone stays happy following the surgery.

Satisfaction with Misery

The weight loss surgery results in radical changes in the physical and mental well being of the patient. After the surgery, there is an instant boost in confidence due to leaner body structure and this confidence can be perceived as a sign of success. Nonetheless, the surgery leaves behind a sequence of small ailments which gradually starts messing with the well being of the patient.  Many people experience a ‘newer’ self post the procedure and do see positive results, however, the realization of the need of undergoing such a drastic transformation for success and happiness strikes hard and becomes the reason behind all the grief. Patients feel ashamed to let the world know about their surgery and rather than telling about surgery, they lie about being on a diet when the weight loss issue comes up.

Excessive Loose Skin

Post the surgery, the patients, especially women become very conscious about their naked body and start getting self-doubt about their appearance once again leading to the return of all that misery that was there in the past. And most of this misery is a result of the loose skin, a general consequence of the surgery. Patients do not give attention to this fact before since they are told that this kind of consequence can be taken care of in the later stages but when it actually appears, the fixing is not that easy and the patients are forced to live with the consequences against their will. Although there are surgical procedures to remove the excess skin, patients are not willing to take the risk of undergoing another surgery and then dealing with its repercussions such as seroma or hematoma formation, infection and risks related to future pregnancies.

Low Quality of Life

The patients have to face, comparatively, a lower quality of life post undergoing the weight loss surgery procedure. There is a risk of developing chronic stomach and intestine disorders. Some critical cases like this might also lead to a requirement of another surgery in later stages.  The stamina and energy level is also negatively affected after the weight loss surgery and the patients find it difficult to do their daily tasks with the same energy they did prior to the surgery. Not just health issues, but the surgery also affects the lifestyle and many patients start to run away from food or start eating too little or too much or eating at an inappropriate time which gradually results in eating disorders. Because of such eating disorders, the patients start experiencing nausea, tiredness, dizziness and intense shaking.

All these consequences of the weight loss surgery severely affect the physical, mental and emotional health of the patient rather than making him/her healthy and happy as contemplated. Undeniably, there are many patients who do not live happily ever after post the surgery. 

More from Manipal Hospital

By Vanshika Gadekar

By Imran Ghazi

By Ashraf Lone