Youth Ki Awaaz is undergoing scheduled maintenance. Some features may not work as desired.

Celebrities and Food can get Indian youth to Vote #JetSetVote

Posted by Keertana Subramani
August 16, 2017

NOTE: This post has been self-published by the author. Anyone can write on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Dear ECB:

Bollywood and regional cinema impact young Indian adults from all backgrounds in a powerful way. Besides celebrity influence, increasingly popular and expensive foods (such as Pizza from Pizza Hut) command a majority of Indian youth’s attention.

If our ECB can get celebrities to endorse the voting practice on billboards and online, in the manner private advertisements do – think glamorous Deepika Padukone on a billboard in Varanasi showing the voting ink on her finger- young people will begin to associate voting with being “cool”. If voters under the age of 30 can be randomly gifted with single meal coupons for a locally popular chain restaurant, more youth, especially from demographics that can’t otherwise afford these foods will be drawn to vote. To fight corruption in the distribution of such coupons, they could be valid for a limited time only and verified with that person’s voting ID.

#JetSetVote