Dear Millennials, Stop Taking Proud in Not Knowing Things

Posted by Arunchandra c
August 14, 2017

Looking at my friends in their early 20s has been seen indulging taking pride in basic things they don’t know on social Medias. Starting from ‘I don’t know to cook dinner to managing one’s expense with their limited income’ the list goes on and on. When I moved out of my parent’s house I never knew how to cook, do my own laundry or make manage expenses. I learnt everything over the period of time because I had to survive in this city.

The main reason was that I was ashamed of knowing those things when I could see some of my other friends doing it on their own. I feel that being ashamed of those things should be essentially important for human beings for mastering basic essential shit and to get out of laziness and procrastination. I don’t think it’s something one should take proud of not knowing basic shit. I don’t think to be quirky millennial in delaying doctor appointment for years to end, I think it’s not cool it’s uber stupid.

It’s not about being an adult for managing one’s budget, cooking one’s meal or putting basic shit together in life. It’s what we people should do because we should be leading a life as a matured being than being an overgrown toddler all the time. How embarrassing is to walk into a bachelor in one’s 20s house to see beer bottles, empty pizza packets, cigarette buds, and unwashed vessels everywhere. It’s not cool at all, it shows that he can’t manage his house If his mom is not there to micro monitor him.

I understand that no one can be perfect in managing everything, but one can’t take pride for a long time wobbling like a baby through the adulthood life, unsure of how to do one’s basic things in life. Stop taking pride in not knowing how to do basic shit or feeling great in having you’re chaotic, messed up, disorganized life. We may not come from the background which empowers in managing basic essential things together in life, but it’s not chic to still be struggling in managing basic shit until your 30s.

I feel that it’s because of this cultural phenomenon where many of us don’t get to lead a life where they had to live a life of learning and doing one’s own things. Most of them had their parents and others around them to give everything on a silver platter. I know, I definitely don’t claim myself to be any better but I have learnt and evolved over the period of time in managing things in a better way. Most people turn their self-defeating patterns into jokes on social media because that makes them feel easier than actually dealing with it.

I am not saying that you have to have everything figured out and mastered. But we need to stop thinking that being a mess is quirky or cute because it is not.  I feel that one can do better than just laughing at the jokes we share on social media for not knowing basic shit. It’s not about being cool in anyway, it’s that you are refusing to adult. Being an adult is not very hard as you think; it’s that somewhere you are lazy and selfish. You have just outgrown toddler who hasn’t come out their parent’s cocoon. We have no excuse other than our own laziness, really, and that’s something we should definitely not be taking pride in

In your 20s, it’s your time to take pride in learning new things. It’s time to take up the responsibility of not anyone else, but about your life. It’s really embarrassing and stupid to talk about how we don’t know how to manage basic things in life.  

There are millions of young folks in their 20s who actually manage life on their own, they pay bills, file IT returns, repair the car, manage the budget effectively, you know what? Even you can do that.

Choose wisely, and don’t take pride in being a lazy outgrown adult.