Increasing Teen Suicides

Posted by NavyaJkai
August 10, 2017

India has one of the world’s highest suicide rates for youth aged 15 to 29, according to a 2012 Lancet report, which illustrated the need for urgent interventions.

Every hour more than 90 students commit suicide.

One of the major reasons for this inability to cope up with peer pressure or the stupid rat race children are forced into.

In the five years leading to 2015, 39,775 students killed themselves. The number of attempted suicides, many unreported, is likely to be much higher.

India has one of the world’s highest suicide rates for youth aged

Conversations with counsellors revealed that young people find it difficult to cope with failure in examinations and careers and neither families nor other social institutions offer adequate support or solace. Professional help is difficult to find because India endures an 87% shortage of mental-health professionals. The situation is exacerbated by low public spending on mental health — India spends less than Bangladesh on mental-health services.

Family background, it would appear, has an important role in determining how young people cope with despair.

Students from “happy” families suffer from less depression.

An average student in india has tge same anxiety level of a depression patient in the late 90s

Student suicides are becoming increasingly common in Kota, Rajasthan, considered the capital of India’s shadow education system. Its many commercial coaching centres, that guarantee success in professional entrance exams, pressure students into striving for unrealistic goals. Unable to cope with failure and anxious about letting their family down, a growing number of Kota students opt to end their lives.

“These deaths result from poor relationships with parents, excessive expectations, the feeling of being unwanted, poor understanding of their peer/romantic relationships

We may not be able to control everything but there are certainthings that needs to be fixed.

One of the main reason is our poor education system more than half of the country’s student dont have access and those who have are bombarded woth pressure , gone are the goid old days when children were seen enjoying , playing outside learning

The main issues with indian systemis:

To much emphasises on marks and grades

High level of competition and peer pressure

Children are not free to think and question

In india the main is given focus on memorising rather than learning

Since childhood the brain of a child is programmed to enter into a silly rat race

And thus emotions like fear self doubts low esteem , afraid to speak up ur minds are created. Children by time they grow up they vecome very selfish.Are very common in stuedents

Too much of thereotical knowledge that contrays to the practicle understaing

Children are taught what to think rather than how to think

Exams takes way the joy to learn

Moreover in india people are nit really flexible about streams

Most students take up science and commerce streams by force instead of by will.

Good quality education is also not there in school the teachers are often strict and children fear to raise answers and after heavy 6/7/8 school hrs children take tutions because of not able to cope up in school

More over in countries like finland,japan ,US,Qatar,singapore the education system is very fertile

In countries like

Finland routinely tops rankings of global education systems and is famous for having no banding systems — all pupils, regardless of ability, are taught in the same classes. As a result, the gap between the weakest and the strongest pupils is the smallest in the world. Finnish schools also give relatively little homework and have only one mandatory test at age 16. Education is free for natives

• Official education begins at the age of seven and each school day lasts for not more than five hours
  • Finnish students are given the least amount of homework as compared to the rest of the world

Canada

Canada successfully ensures that maximum number of children receive at least high school education.

• Special teachers are appointed by Government provided funds in high schools exclusively for the “Student Success Strategy” program, which caters to students that might need additional help in school and those planning to drop out. They conduct one-on-one sessions with these students and lend additional help to all those who need it
  • To make graduation more appealing, 18 additional options are provided for high school majors

Singapore

Singapore altered its system from one that required rote learning and repetitive tasks to one that emphasizes more on cultivating “soft skills” in children and building a moral conscience so that they grow up to be responsible citizens.

I personally feel whichever country it is children deserve o be able to express themselves freely and develop their unlimited talent and potentials to the sky!! The should be free to open their wings of creativityand innovations

And we should encourage them rather than pessismistcly killing their dreams!!

Education should enhance and help people to grow rather than just being a mode of earning

We should never let the child inside us die for a stupid rate race

Knowledge truly empowers and create a world beyond our wildest dreams

And this should be the main agenda for any educational system.

I

Exams takes way the joy to learn

In countries like

Canada

Singapore

And this should be the main agenda for any educational system

I would suggest and the students deserve a space to enjoy to have new experiences ,to explore, and more over a space rid of comparions and competition where there is nobody to judge you.