modi government to withdraw jamia millia islamia minority status

Posted by Gaurav Joshi
August 9, 2017

SABKA SAATH SABKA VIKAS ?

The BJP -led NDA government is all set to withdraw its support to Jamia Millia Islamia as a minority educational institute,the indian express reported.

In its fresh affidavit,The Human Resource Development Ministry (HRD) will state that february 2011 order of the National Commission For Minority Educational Institution declaring JMI a religious minority educational institution was not accordance to the law.

In januaury the then AG Mukul Rohatgi had advised the HRD ministry, then under  simriti irani that they could change its stance based on the Azeez Basha versus union of india case. In Azeez Basha case the apex court observed that the Aligarh Muslim University cannot be a minority institution as it was established by the British and not by the Muslim Community.

The Modi Government had clarified its stand that a central university cannot be a minority institutions.