I Am A Woman Confident Of Her Beliefs. Scaring Me Isn’t That Easy.

Posted by Nandini Arora in #NoPlace4Hate
September 9, 2017
Facebook logoEditor’s Note: With #NoPlace4Hate, Youth Ki Awaaz and Facebook have joined hands to help make the Internet a safer space for all. Watch this space for powerful stories of how young people are mobilising support and speaking out against online bullying.

I’ve been a part of this discussion on twitter for a few days now. I had posted a tweet promoting an article I had written about how women are judged for having sex and men aren’t. Women with profiles on Tinder are assumed to be of the ‘indecent’ type whereas nobody questions the characters of the men on Tinder. A typical post along the lines of feminism. With the huge number of both men and women embracing feminism, I didn’t think I was doing anything wrong. I fact I thought that the majority was with me, but boy oh boy was I wrong.

It started with a healthy comment from a fellow tweeter, when he disagreed with my point of view, which I welcomed. I mean, you cannot have everyone sharing the same opinion in a group of five, let alone a population of a billion. He made a comment about how women play the victim card and take advantage of the feminocentric laws. To which I replied how those laws exist in the first place because women are generally assumed to be the ‘weaker sex’ and that if women were not assumed to be damsels in distress, the law wouldn’t be so biased. He further responded how women extort money by blaming their boyfriends for rape and husbands for martial rape. And that I was spreading misandry by promoting feminism. I tried again, to make him understand that by demanding an unbiased law, he was in fact asking for gender equality in a way.

Well, that was it.  For some reason, this conversation angered another random person, who joined in the conversation and started calling me names such as cunt (which technically means the vagina, and I’m not sure why that should be offensive in the first place) and whore and how I should just shut up or else he would find me and rape me. From a person who’s twitter name was ‘bighotshot’ and the display picture was Hrithik Roshan from Dhoom 2, I wouldn’t have expected anything else. Of course, I wasn’t going to let our beloved Hrithik Roshan look-alike scare me into putting my phone down. I was actually standing in line to buy coffee when I noticed his little love message. It took me literally two seconds to report him to twitter, have him blocked before I turned my attention back to focusing on whether I was feeling like an espresso or a latte.

Dear all the awesome ladies fighting for equality and those charming lovely men who genuinely believe in feminism (you keep hope alive, by the way), don’t let anyone slow you down. The fight has only begun. The road is long and full of pot holes. It’s going to take a lot of strength and patience but we’ll get there.

P.S. To read the article mentioned, visit https://nandiniaroraweb.wordpress.com/2017/09/07/post9/