This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Apurv Kumar. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

How Godmen Who Once Created Brotherhood Now Feed On Public Fear

More from Apurv Kumar

Religion is often perceived as a method to approach God, a path in which one attains a peace of mind and finds the purpose of their life. The soul of each human – atheist or theist – longs to embark on a twig in the current of worldly affairs and seeks a place to rest and find some tranquillity. We all have our own methods – some pursue meditation, some listen to music, some like to pray and so on.

The human mind wishes to find the glory of the divine, which already inhibits in our souls. We want to have it manifested through some medium or another, and in this quest, we reside our faith in those who claim to have witnessed that glory – the godmen.

Through the ages, there have been several godmen in India and abroad like Jesus Christ, Rampal, Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, Guru Nanak, and so on. The Indian society has a large number of such Godmen probably because several faiths developed and merged over a long period of time. Owing to the greatness of these saints, and due to the fact that they practised what they preached, they not only gathered a large following but also managed to bring about reforms in the society.

They uplifted the downtrodden, embraced the exploited, spread the message of universal brotherhood and brought a sense of unification in a deeply divided society. Saints like Swami Vivekananda guided the nation, especially its youth to regain lost glory and break the shackles of slavery that India had become accustomed to under the British rule. Such ameliorations would have been impossible without the presence of such great people.

But unfortunately, in current times, godmen emerge mostly because their followers are poor and want someone to hold their hands during hard times (which often extends to the entire duration of their lives). The poor who remain outside the boundaries of growth are happy to do their part of service to the Lord through their godman. This gives their life a meaning. The godmen, however, feed on their fears and exercise a dominating position – often through mysticism, superstitions, etc. They become an unspoken icon which a person longs to serve to attain the nectar of bliss in their life and beyond.

This entire infrastructure standing upon the foundations of belief takes shape of a business. The business further flourishes by taking shape of various endeavours like educational institutions, hotels etc. More often than not, their endeavours flourish because of a political nexus. Politicians continue to follow such godmen to create a vote bank which consists of the followers of these godmen.

The rising number of allegations and sentences against people like Nirmal Baba, Asaram Bapu, Rampal, Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh, etc trembles the bedrock of the common man’s faith and also portrays Indian society in a bad light. However, there are several godmen who preach the message of peace among people and help them realise that divinity is within themselves raise tolerance and help make the world a better place to live. They are the ones who serve mankind without any selfish interests, even after they get painted with the same brush because of the deeds of the selfish godmen.

Thus there is a need to educate the masses, shun their superstitions and wake the light of rationality in them. Whistleblowers should be encouraged to come forward and must be provided with physical, social and economic protection so that speedy justice is delivered. Politicians and policemen who hide the shady acts of godmen should also be brought before the court of law. Godmen should be made to declare their assets on a regular basis.

It is not possible to entirely rationalise devotion and faith, but the masses should not blindly follow an ideology or a person. They should focus on being productive members of the society rather than hoodlums who vandalise public property and disrupt peace.

1. jyoti gambhir

अगर मान ले कि कोई संत गधे की श्रेणी के है तो ये भी मानना पडेगा कि ऐसे संत से आशीर्वाद और प्रेरणा पाने के लिए उनके दर्शन और सत्संग सुनने के लिए जानेवाले भारत के 6 प्रधान मंत्री (गुलझारी लाल नंदा, चंद्रशेखर, पी. व्ही. नरसिन्हाराव्, एच.डी. देवेगोवड़ा, अटल बिहारी वाजपेयी, और नरेंद्र मोदी), विभिन्न राज्यों के बीसों मुख्य मंत्री, विभिन्न पक्षों के सैकड़ो MLA और सैकड़ो MP ये सब गधे से निम्न श्रेणी के सिद्ध हो जायेंगे क्योंकि बुद्धिमान मनुष्य अपने से श्रेष्ठ महानुभाव के पास ही आशीर्वाद और प्रेरणा लेने जाते है।

कोई भी गधे की श्रेणी का व्यक्ति किसी राष्ट्र के सर्वोच्च पद पर बैठे हुए इतने लोगों को आशीर्वाद और प्रेरणा नहीं दे सकता । जब ये राष्ट्र के वरिष्ठ नेता अगर गधे से निम्न श्रेणी के सिद्ध हुए तो उनको चुनाव के द्वारा उन पदों पर बिठानेवाले और उनके द्वारा शासित होनेवाले राष्ट्र के सभी लोग गधे से निम्न श्रेणी के लोगों से भी निम्न श्रेणी के सिद्ध होगे ।

पर इतना विचार करने की क्षमता उल्लूओं (मीडिया)के पास नहीं होती । अगर मीडिया रूपी उल्लू अपने आपको बुद्धिमान सिद्ध करना चाहे तो उसको शासित करनेवालों को उसको महाबुद्धिमान मानना पड़ेगा और उन महाबुद्धिमानों को प्रेरणा और आशीर्वाद देनेवाले संत को संत शिरोमणि मानना ही पड़ेगा । 

1. Apurv Kumar

Please read the entire article and then reach a conclusion. It says, “there are several godmen who preach the message of peace among people and help them realise that divinity is within themselves raise tolerance and help make the world a better place to live. They are the ones who serve mankind without any selfish interests, even after they get painted with the same brush because of the deeds of the selfish godmen”.

Therefore, the author heartily accepts that there are many godmen who are serving the mankind and showing them the right direction in life. All are not same.

2. Shekhar Gadewar

Instead of writing some long misleading articles,
    so at least one allegation against Asaram Bapu which has been proved!

I am sure, you dont have!
    Then why fooling the readers?

1. Apurv Kumar

With all respect, the article doesn’t say anywhere that any allegations have been proved. It says that number of allegations and sentences against godmen are rising. It is the nature of these allegations itself which sways the opinion and devotion of the common man. Asaram ji is a not guilty of anything unless it is proven so in the court of law. But, the charges against him left many of his followers in shock and clueless as to whom to believe in, whose words to follow etc. The author means no disrespect to any human being and doesn’t want to fool the readers in the least.

3. Navin Gujrati

Which allegation proved on pujy asharam bapu ji.
    Without knowing truth in case of asharam bapu ji
    You should not defame him
    Till now any allegation has not proved
    Understood

4. Apurv Kumar

PS: I wasn’t trying to defame Mr. Asharam or any self-styled godman back then when I wrote this article. I didn’t mean to hurt any religious sentiments but I think the recent Supreme Court judgment answered a lot of critics who were tirelessly trying to point out that no allegations against Mr Asharam had been proved. Such sentences for these people who mislead people like hoards, strengthens my faith in the Indian Judicial System and I sincerely hope people would stop blindly following such miscreants.

More from Apurv Kumar

By Youth Action Hub- India (Delhi)

By Melanie Dhar

By Anugraha Venugopal