This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Samaira Khatri. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Find Out If You Have What It Takes To Run A Successful Startup

In every cubicle sits a potential startup founder, dreaming and molding his innovative ideas. Who would not aspire to become the next Bill Gates or Steve Jobs instead of staying confined to a 6×6 cubicle for life?

In modern times, quite a few are daring to venture out and compete.

The aspirations of all those who venture out are extremely high until they get a tight slap on their face from the consumer or end-user of their product. The first slap feels quite heavy; mighty enough to throw many of them out of the race.

Few with thicker skin are able to survive the slap, although it changes them. This change ensures better adjustment in the market and gives them the ability to fulfill consumer requirements. These thick-skinned guys cover a few more miles until a strong punch takes out a few more of them.

These consecutive punches put to test the theory of the survival of the fittest. What I mean is that only those who are thick-skinned and persistent enough to sustain the consecutive blows can fulfill the basic eligibility criteria for becoming an entrepreneur. The rest of them are those who were just meant for the cubicles; they mistakenly chose to be offended by the ruthless market.

Co-Founders of startup Skylark Drones Mughilan Thiru Ramasamy and Mrinal Pai pose during an interview. (Image Credit: Hemant Mishra/Mint via Getty Images)

The above paragraph brings the two basic eligibility criteria for any successful startup. First being persistence and the second being the flexibility or adaptability.

Empires are not built in a day and neither are companies like Apple or Microsoft. Every venture requires a particular incubation or nurture period. Expecting to reap the paddy crop in the first month of cultivation is nothing but sheer ignorance.

Next is the rule of persistent flexibility or adaptability which shapes or grooms any business idea according to the market’s requirement and expectations. Any rigidity in this regard will necessarily flush you out of business.

A successful idea is one which users likes. Any idea having millions of features but which fails to impress the consumer is not expected to survive. Suiting the consumer’s requirements is the holy rule for having a successful product.

Change yourself in accordance with the idea of your consumers. Never be egoistic about your ideas or business model.

Success is the ultimate goal, no matter how many times you change the pattern of your products. The evolution of the product is the next most important decisive factor for a successful venture.

Imagine the 12-year-old William Shakespeare sitting in his class seven English class and the teacher scolding him to not use words like ‘thou’, ‘thee’, ‘thy’, ‘thine’ and ‘ye’. Strangely, today we know this as Shakespearean language.

The law of inertia applies to any business idea. Innovations are always resisted. Changes are never supported.

Be prepared to face disruptions from people who will try to shake the equilibrium of your business with their discouraging words.

To most of us, making money is the idea and goal behind setting up a business. However, business should be chosen
carefully based upon one’s interest, capabilities and market demands.

Keeping the focus on monetary gain can be advocated by hardcore businessmen, but a business with a human touch is a smart way to touch the hearts of your consumers. Capital gains are an obvious consequence of any well calculated and flexible business model in which persistent efforts are made.

There are those who build empires and those who turn empires into ashes. It’s one’s mental configuration or psychological stability which makes it all possible.

Thinking rationally and flexibly, acting purposefully and dealing effectively with the environment is what makes a successful entrepreneur.

More from Samaira Khatri

By Preeti Ojha

By Jiya Katyal

By Md.Sher Ali