This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Aishwarya Sandeep. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

My Experience With Online Haters Has Been Very Entertaining

More from Aishwarya Sandeep

Facebook logoEditor’s Note: With #NoPlace4Hate, Youth Ki Awaaz and Facebook have joined hands to help make the Internet a safer space for all. Watch this space for powerful stories of how young people are mobilising support and speaking out against online bullying.

The internet is an open space where you have more freedom of speech than you do in real life. You are at liberty to criticise anyone or anything.

Some people, who are self proclaimed ‘kings’ of the virtual space, read half, understand a quarter but reply with full enthusiasm. Yes, one of the best things about Internet abusers is that many-a-times they unknowingly provide free entertainment. One of my favorite pastimes is to read comments that people write below a particular post rather than the actual post itself.

For example, the moment an actress posts a picture of her in a bikini, there is a huge uproar in the comments section. Such uproar includes slut shaming and body shaming. What people forget is that wearing a bikini on a beach is as common as finding a bhelpuriwala at Juhu beach.

Sometimes, the haters, while abusing a celebrity or any girl for that matter, forget basic grammar.

I have been regularly blogging for the past one year and was lucky enough to not face any hate per se till date. The usual misunderstandings often happen. I remember, when I had written my first blog post on a parenting website about how I was coming back after my maternity break and how people had treated me badly and ignored me. In this post, I had made a statement – which was made about me by someone else – that now that I was “just another housewife”.

The way this statement was misunderstood was hilarious. I had some 89 comments below that post, most of them empathising with me and the rest criticising me for abusing a housewife.

What is more important before hating anyone online is that you read the content carefully and understand what the author wants to say. Just because you can hide behind a 14-inch screen and talk any kind of nonsense does not give you any credibility.

Initially, I would be upset if someone wrote anything negative about me. But then, gradually, I started enjoying the hateful comments because on carefully analysing them, I realised, they never made any sense and such comments were made for the sake of gaining popularity.

Many people think that negative comments and criticism are the best way to gain popularity on social media. What they often forget is that at the end of the day, it is the quality of the content and comment that matters. By making such aggressive comments, ultimately, you are making a fool out of yourself and you end up becoming a laughing stock.

I am sure that these haters would scream their lungs out on the internet over an actress’ image in a bikini, but in real life, they would run away the moment they saw a fully dressed woman being eve teased.

More from Aishwarya Sandeep

By Arun Chandra

By Arun Chandra

By Arun Chandra