This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Nitya Sriram. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Will India Achieve The SDGs By 2030? UN Bodies And Govt. Ministries Answer!

More from Nitya Sriram

NFI logoEditor’s Note: With #GoalPeBol, Youth Ki Awaaz has joined hands with the National Foundation for India to start a conversation around the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals that the Indian government has undertaken to accomplish by 2030. Let’s collectively advocate for successful and timely fulfilment of the SDGs to ensure a brighter future for our nation.

On September 25, 2015, leaders from countries around the world signed a pact to achieve 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by 2030. From eradicating poverty and hunger to fighting climate change, the SDGs are aimed at collective progress without compromising future generations.

On September 25 this year, two years down the line, National Foundation for India and Youth Ki Awaaz hosted a Twitter chat to understand India’s progress, as a signatory, towards achieving the goals by 2030. With experts like Ministry of Women and Child Development, Ministry of Labour and Employment, UN Women, ILO India and UNICEF India on the panel, the chat gave way to crucial insights into India’s current status in fulfilling the Global Goals.

Catch the highlights here:

152 Million Children Still Subject To Child Labour: ILO India

YKA: What can be done to engage young people in tackling the issue of #ModernSlavery in India?

@ILONewDelhi: Through awareness, education, access and dialogue, youth can be engaged to tackle and flag situations of forced labour. 15.4 million, mostly women, are forced into marriage. More than one-third of them are underage at time of marriage. Education and access (to necessities) are the drivers to end slavery. We need to come together to change things. New global estimates reveal that 152 million children – 64 million girls and 88 million boys – are subject to child labour.

YKA: What are the key challenges to ensuring that domestic work is recognised as “work”?

@ILONewDelhi: Social perceptions of household work being a woman’s domain, unfair division of labour, and that this sector of work doesn’t require skills are the key challenges. What is needed: formalisation, bringing (domestic work) under labour legislation, ensuring domestic workers’ rights – minimum wages, leaves, benefits, etc.

YKA: What steps can be taken by govt. to support the global initiative on #DecentJobsForYouth in India?

@ILONewDelhi: Providing an enabling environment for entrepreneurship, vocational training, quality apprenticeships, work experience schemes, etc. Linking youth employment to national development plans and vision strategies, scaling innovative initiatives, transition to formality.

Productive Employment For All And Eradicating Forced Labour Top Priority: Ministry of Labour and Employment

YKA: What targets under #Goal8 are particularly important for India today?

@LabourMinistry: 8.5: Productive employment for all, and 8.7: eradicate forced labour, trafficking & prohibition and elimination of worst forms of child labour.

YKA: On that note, what are the 2 -3 main challenges to achieving targets under #Goal8 of the #SDGs by 2030?

@LabourMinistry: Enough good jobs, portable social security, skilling, strengthening of database, greater coordination between stakeholders and improved compliance.

YKA: Finally, what key steps can be taken to sensitise young people about #SDGs in India?

@LabourMinistry: Primarily through social media and other interactive platforms, seminars, workshops, social partners and collaboration with ILO and others.

Gender Parity In Workforce Can Boost India’s GDP By 27%: UN Women India

YKA: What are the three most important ways in which gender inclusion will impact India’s development goals?

@unwomenindia: It will improve India’s economic growth. Gender parity in the workforce can boost India’s GDP by 27%. For example, number of drinking water projects in areas with women-led councils are 62% higher than with men-led councils. Women’s equal representation in decision-making leads to inclusive policies that #LeaveNoOneBehind. Increased economic and political inclusion of women equals full and effective realisation of government priorities, especially @makeinindia and @_DigitalIndia!

YKA: What targets under #Goal5 are particularly important for India today?

@unwomenindia: Targets 5.2 (end all forms of violence against women) and 5.4 (recognize and value unpaid care and domestic work).

YKA: What are the major challenges to #financialinclusion of women in India’s workforce?

@unwomenindia: Majority of women are concentrated in the informal sector. Also, government social protection measures are often limited to formal economy.

YKA: And finally, in the current scenario, do you think India can achieve #Goal5 by 2030?

@unwomenindia: Women’s full and effective participation in political, economic and public life will ensure India achieves #Goal5 by 2030. India can lead success of #GlobalGoals, with gender data, effective implementation of laws, fund allocation and utilisation.

Changing Mindsets Is Central To Gender Equality: Ministry Of Women And Child Development

YKA: What are the key challenges to achieving targets under #Goal5 of the #SDGs in India?

@MinistryWCD: The central issue is of changing mindsets. Amending laws and mainstream gender across all our initiatives.

@MinistryWCD: WCD is focusing on building convergence on women’s issues across ministries and states. For this, we have formulated the National Policy for Women which is currently under consideration. We’re liaising with various ministries to collect gender disaggregated data and give priority to women in their schemes. The new Mahila Shakti Kendra scheme will serve this purpose of convergence at the village level. WCD is also working on a holistic response to violence against women.

Rights-Based Inclusion Of Young People Key To Meeting SDG #Goal3: UNICEF India

The Twitter chat invited participation from several young and enthusiastic Twitterati. Notably, organisations including Dasra, CRY India, Accountability India, Oxfam India and IGSSS lent their perspectives to the chat, amplifying the message and taking it to millions.

Organised as a part of #GoalPeBol, a campaign jointly run by Youth Ki Awaaz and NFI to amplify the SDGs among young people, the Twitter chat created over 14 million impressions on Twitter and opened up new avenues of thought towards what is and what should be for India to achieve the SDGs by 2030.

What key steps in your opinion must the government take to ensure we meet the SDGs by 2030? Tweet your responses @YouthKiAwaaz with #GoalPeBol!

_

Featured image used for representative purposes only.

Featured image sources: Raj K Raj/Hindustan Times via Getty Images, Vipin Kumar/Hindustan Times via Getty Images

More from Nitya Sriram

By neetibiyani

By Twishaa Tandon

By Kalai Selvi