This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Hena Anand. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

A chemical engineering student founded a startup that creates a mattress for all body type

Sleep is that very essential refueling process of our body without which we will undoubtedly be like cars running on the last drops of reserve. But considering its importance, have we ever given much thought to how we sleep? Probably not. Fortunately, however, an organization called Wakefit has been doing this job for us for the past 2 years.

Launched in early 2016 and headquartered in Bangalore, Wakefit is one of India’s unique startups that researches on sleep and spine support to create innovative products. The company has a unique customer response driven mechanism that conducts extensive interviews to understand people’s sleep patterns and preferences, and designs products based on the same. The research and interview process began in 2015 and since then, Wakefit has interviewed thousands and ensured millions of hours of blissful sleep to its users.

Wakefit follows a unique delivery model. It has a product oriented approach that splurges on research and innovation to create a product that is ahead of its times. It ships products to its customers directly from the factory, thus ensuring significant cost reduction which gets reflected in the low prices of its products. Essentially, this serves as the vision of the organization – to provide the value conscious Indian middle class quality mattresses at a price that is sure to give them anything but sleepless nights!

The USP of the brand lies in the fact that their products are made after extensive customer interviews. Even the founders of the company visited about a 100 homes and took inputs from the customers which were then incorporated into the product line. This customer oriented approach underlines Wakefit’s entire operations, which forms the basis for its innovative products such as memory foam mattresses and pillows, mattress protector and mattress cover.

The mattress sector in India has been operating at two ends of the customer spectrum. For the affluent, urban consumer, there are 15-20 variations of different types of mattresses that are mainly available for purchase at offline stores. And for the middle-class, value conscious consumer, they have no alternative but to go to the local store and buy poor quality mattresses of adulterated materials. Essentially, the problems of the sector are:

1. huge number of variations in mattress types (15-20 SKUs in most brands) with no correlation to what customers are actually looking for
  2. highly inflated prices due to 2-3 layers of middlemen between the manufacturer and the retail store
  3. no ‘branded’ experience in terms of quality, trust and customer support

Wakefit was born with the DNA to address these concerns and disrupt the mattress industry. We have distilled all our research to arrive at just two mattress SKUs, one for the master bedroom and one for the guest bedroom. Since we ship direct from the factory to the customer’s home, there is no artificial inflation of prices. Lastly, we have a professional support team and a 100-day risk free trial so that customers can make the purchase without any worries.

Wakefit, through intensive research has managed to create one mattress for all body types using cutting-edge memory foam technology. The product is impeccably created on the parameters of pressure & weight distribution, foam quality and stress testing. Wakefit also provides a 100-day risk free trial service to its customers, whereby they can test the product to put their minds at ease while making the purchase.

Wakefit has managed to sell over 40,000 units to 30,000+ customers across India. The new-age startup has a current employee strength of 50+ employees across different functions. It just concluded a campaign to send one of their products to the Prime Minister of the country, along with 1000+ messages collected from all across the country. With state-of-the-art tech and an operational model that is driven by its sole focus on customer delight, Wakefit strives to ensure perfect sleep for every Indian, and facilitate the creation of a billion new dreams!

More from Hena Anand

By Love Matters India

By Mr. Nagendra Yadav

By Bidisha Bhatacharya