An Young Development professional hail from Assam Honored with Young Achievers Award 2017

Posted by Dibyajyoti Gogoi
October 3, 2017

DIBYAJYOTI GOGOI, the resident of Golaghat district of Assam has received Young Achievers Award 2017 in the category of Education and skill development from Vision India Foundation (VIF) and Quality Council of India (QCI). The award has facilitated by Yogi Baba Ramdev, chairman, and General Secretary of QCI in hotel Le Meridien, New Delhi.

Dibyajyoti Gogoi is Postgraduate in Local governance and public Policy from Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development, Chennai and former SBI Youth for India fellow. He was honored with the award for setting up a Youth Resource Center (YRC) for youth engagement and participation in a tribal village of Rajasthan. The village name is Merpur (seen as a punishment posting by Government officials), a remote tribal village in Udaipur district of Rajasthan. The village has a literacy rate of only 17.09% (Census 2011). The place is dangerous, risky and generally not suitable for people not originally from here. He found that,

• Most of the Youth are cut -off from education
  • Youth undergoes physical relationship at the age of11-13
  • The rate of alcohol consumption is quite high among the youth.
  • No livelihood opportunities for youth.
  • Most of the Youth migrate to Gujarat

In order to solve the issue pertaining to the youth of the village, He has established a Youth Resource Centre (YRC) for spreading awareness, involving youth in games and sports, remedial classes, computer classes, and stitching training for women.

Methodology

The approach has been taken by keeping the objective of the project in mind. As the objective is to increase community engagement and youth participation in the village through the Youth Resource Centre (YRC).In regard to that YRC has planned to conduct various activities which are going to mention in details below:

Fig 1:

Intervention 1: Transformation of the infrastructure of the YRC

Fig 2: At the beginning:                                                        

Fig 3: At present:

Intervention 2: Awareness camp                                 Intervention 3: Games & sports  among the youth

Fig 4                                                                                                  Fig 5

Intervention 4Computer classes for the Interested youth      Intervention 5: Remedial Coaching Classes 

Fig 6                                                                                     Fig 7 

Intervention 6: Stitching training to young adolescent girls and women 

Fig 8 

Sustainability and plan for next 3 years: 

The different intervention which has been planned under the project will be coordinated by chosen and selected young person belong from the village itself. The action plan for the next 3 years has been prepared by me and submitted to the Seva Mandir who will carry forward for the implementation.

Outcome:

In a year, YRC has seen an increase in enrollment from 40 to 250, successfully trained 50 adolescent girls and women on stitching, of which 3 have started their own tailoring shops. 30 remedial class attendant students cleared class X exam. Besides, 30 youth have also completed basic computer classes in the YRC, of which are placed in E-Mitra center of the city.

Apart from setting up YRC, Dibyajyoti has found out that nearly 80 kids in the village are cut off from school. There is only one government school in the village for which kids need to cross hilly terrain and a river to reach the school. Because of that parents do not allow to go to school so Dibyajyoti planned to set-up a small education center the kids (The Humara School). As we do not have any resources to set up the school so he approached online crowdfunding platform www.ketto.org and received donation amount of nearly 30 thousand. Later with the help of collected money and support of Seva Mandir, a locally based NGO able to set-up a small education center in the village. At present, more than seventy kids are getting the education from the school at free of cost.

Fig 9:

The both project is self-sustaining and now it is running by the youth of the village itself. Dibyajyoti Gogoi believes that this project wouldn’t have been possible without the guidance and support from Seva Mandir, locally based NGO who’s headquartered is based in Udaipur city.

References:

http://indianyoungachievers.com/blog.html

http://www.youthforindia.org/index.php/fellowdetails/?f=171

https://www.ketto.org/manage/index.html#!/19422