This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by sonia Chopra. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Transforming Rural India from grassroots

More from sonia Chopra

An Initiative of S M Sehgal Foundation 

Rural Development is constantly augmenting the development of India and helping to improve the quality of life and economic well-being of people living in relatively isolated areas. Development includes the growth on social, economical front, quality of life, empowerment, women and child development, education and awareness of the citizens about their rights and duties. In rural areas communities are struggling for the basic facilities such as livelihood security, sanitation problem, education, water, medical facilities, roads, etc. The Government’s focus evidently on rural development, but many Not-for-Profit organizations are also working for the development of rural communities. 

Sehgal Foundation a not-for-profit organization, “designs and promotes rural development interventions to create opportunities, build resilience, and provide solutions to some of the most pressing challenges in India’s poorest communities.”  The Foundation also focuses on promoting sustainable agricultural practices. Farmers are informed about the government schemes available to them and other entitlements to enhance their agricultural productivity. Foundation empowering citizens with knowledge, skills and the confidence to demand their rights, access public services and participate in all decisions impacting their lives. Sehgal Foundation has also set up a community radio Alfaz-e-Mewat in district Nuh, Haryana for the development of local communities. 

The foundation work towards-

Sustainable Solutions for Water Scarcity: Foundation team works in water-scarce regions of district Nuh, Haryana and district Alwar, Rajasthan to secure and sustain local water supplies, help villagers to improve sanitation and towards wastewater management in schools and homes. Sehgal Foundation took a step toward technological advancement when it installed the world’s first stainless steel biosand filter in community centre of Ghaghas village, Mewat, Haryana on January 22, 2015 and now at the Foundation Gurugram headquarter. Biosand water filter is a low cost, effective, pure and sustainable drinking water solution.

Empowering Farmers: In collaboration with Mosaic India Pvt. Ltd., Sehgal Foundation has implemented the ‘Krishi Jyoti’ project which provides farmer training in sustainable farming practices. The government of Rajasthan has awarded the Bhamashah Award 2017 to Sehgal Foundation and Mosaic Fertilizers Pvt. Ltd. for the infrastructure work done in government schools in district Alwar, Rajasthan.  Krishi Jyoti project has been instrumental in helping farmers to increase their agricultural productivity, employ water management techniques and interventions, and transform schools. 

Strengthening Village Level Institutions to promote Good Governance: Sehgal Foundation’s ‘Strengthening Village Level Institutions’ initiative provide leadership skills, training and interventions to enhance the transparency of village councils and committees.

Women Empowerment: Aimed at making women the decision makers other than the domestic sphere, foundation team work with women farmers in two female-dominated agricultural initiatives namely, ‘Unnat Krishi’ (improves agriculture) and ‘Krishi Chetna’ (agricultural awareness). The main focus of both the initiatives is on improving the livelihoods of women farmers by training them in sustainable farming practices. Apart from this Sehgal Foundation along with partners started a mobile agri clinic under project     ‘Kaushal Krishak’ in Samastipur, Bihar. The clinic will serve 38 villages providing doorstep advisory on agri technologies, agronomic practices and disease, pest and nutrient management of different crops. Spot soil testing facility for macro and micro nutrients will enable farmers to know about soil health. Information about government schemes will also be available in the mobile agri clinic. 

Sehgal Foundation has also established a community radio Alfaz-e-Mewat FM 107.8 to provide a media platform for local community voices in Mewat district, Haryana. Now the Radio has completed 5 successful years and it’s 13-hour radio broadcasts reach 225 villages and is a most popular Community Radio in the region. The Alfaz-e-Mewat radio team has also motivated villagers to monitor the delivery of government schemes, and informed citizens on grievance redressal mechanisms so that they could demand their rights. Radio programs also available on mobile app and most of radio awareness programs can also be listen through story teller. The Community Radio is providing a platform to  rural communities to raise their voices. Radio has already received prestigious Manthan Award for the awareness of governance.

Latest Awards and Recognitions

Sehgal Foundation green building Phase-2, Gurgaon, received the winner award of The Emerson Cup 2017 in the ‘Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) Green New Buildings (tenant occupied)’ category in an award ceremony held in Jaipur Marriott, Jaipur, Rajasthan, on October 6, 2017

Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Leader Award for Outstanding Service in Agriculture

Bhamashah Award for improving school infrastructure in government schools of district Alwar, Rajasthan

Certificate of Appreciation for contribution to Mukhya Mantri Jal Swavlamban Abhiyan 2017 in district Alwar, Rajasthan

More from sonia Chopra

By Juwel Chowdhury

By Sheikh