We should focus not only in enrollment but also in retention in the area of Girl Education

Posted by Shayani Sarkar
October 11, 2017

Today is the International Girl Child Day. A lot of schemes have been made by the present government in support of the girl child , Beti Bachao Beti Padhao being the most popular one , i cant say most effective . Due to these scheme a lot of girls have entered school but why is nobody talking about the drop out rates . Had it not been for my research in the area of child trafficking i would not have known how many girls are forced to drop out of schools by the time they reach teenage . Even if a girl completed her higher secondary lets think for a moment how many girls actually have the privilege to go to college . The main aim of education should be to make girls self reliant but is it really the case ?
An article titled ” Only 10 percent of lower court cases filed by women ” says that only 10 percent of the 2.55 crore cases have been filed by women .Women file less than 50 percent criminal cases despite widespread incident of domestic violence and sexual harassment . Even in the 21 century in most cases men continue to take decisions in family matters .
So a very few women have actually been independent and confident enough to fight for their rights . So while a lot of work has been done to give the girl child their due a lot needs to be done . Perhaps its time we can stop glorifying the government schemes on girl education and see what we can do to help girls and women .
Perhaps convince a mother to send her daughter to school , or pay for the education of a girl who cant afford it , or teach your maid who is not educated . Do what you can .As a citizen it is our duty as well and not just the government to help girl child and women achieve education .