This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Manipal Hospital. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

What is Refractive Cataract Surgery?

More from Manipal Hospital

Cataract is the clouding of the lens of the eye situated between the pupil and the iris. It leads to blurry vision worsening with time, problems in vision under high intensity of light, vision loss at night and complete vision loss in some cases if not treated in time.

Cause of Cataract

Cataract is caused by clouding of the proteins on the lens of the eyes.

To have a clear view of our surroundings, the lens focuses light on the retina. For the image formation to be clear and smooth, our lens is mainly built of water and protein. The protein present in our lens is arranged in such a way that it alleviates the quality of image formation.

However, with time, the protein starts assembling in one place and clouding the lens marking the initiation of cataract.

Though, the main cause of cataract is associated with ageing, many other factors such as obesity, hypertension, smoking, Diabetes, ultraviolet radiation and family history can also trigger cataract.

Treatments

At the initial stage, cataract can be controlled and improved by using appropriate lenses and magnification. Correct lightening can also aid in the improvement of vision.

At later stages, surgery is a very popular, easy and painless remedy for cataract. It mostly involves the replacement of the eye lens with intraocular lens.

The advancements in technology have led to a new kind of surgical process used in cataract treatment, the Refractive Cataract Surgery.

Refractive Cataract Surgery

Generally, the traditional surgical process involves the usage of blade to create a small incision in the cornea to extract the cataract. In the Refractive Cataract Surgery no such blade is used. To have a more precise incision and a better after surgery vision, this new method uses a laser to incise.

In simpler terms, we can say that Refractive Cataract Surgery is a procedure of merging traditional and modern surgical methods in order to induce best results.

The Basic Process

Usually a computer controlled precise laser is used to perform a customized surgery for the best outcomes according to the patient’s need.

A lens implant is done and astigmatism management procedure is performed.

Advantages of Refractive Cataract Surgery over traditional methods

• A very secure and accurate method for treating extremely hard and matured cataracts.
  • An overall advantageous procedure to obtain a good binocular vision.
  • Astigmatism is corrected and managed with extremely precise and powerful laser.
  • It protects lens capsule during surgery.
  • Correction of presbyopia to reduce the usage of glasses for reading.
  • More stable and can expect better results.

Recovery

Recovering from a Refractive Cataract Surgery involves taking care of eye, avoiding excessive exposure to light, taking the recommended medicines and paying a regular visit to the surgeon.

Cost

Typically, a Refractive Cataract Surgery costs more than a traditional cataract surgery. It ranges from $3000 to $5000.

Conclusion

Refractive Cataract Surgery is the most appealing method to gain the best results after a cataract surgery and with more accurate incision, astigmatic correction and glass free experience.

More from Manipal Hospital

By Internshala

By Ibentos Virtual Event Platform

By jeaninefarrell