Why #CleanPoliticsThisDiwali was trending on twitter

Posted by Zia Nomani
October 18, 2017

Ever wondered how political parties spend crores on rallies while they beg for votes from the poor who at times are deprived of even basic shelter and clothing? Why does the cash inflows to political parties never stop? Who funds them and what do they expect in return? Well for starters , according to the ADR report, 80% of political funding of BJP and Congress is from unknown sources. For four years since 2012-16, as many as 1,933 donations – amounting to Rs. 384 crore – were not accompanied by PAN (Permanent Account Number) details. In the same period, 1,546 donations, amounting to Rs. 355 cr, came without the donor’s address.

Unknown political funding is the root cause of corruption in governance. It creates a government with vested interests, and its loyalty is always leaning towards their funding agencies instead of the welfare of citizens. It also is the reason why certain business houses grow exponentially beyond logical reasoning – they are backed by the government. Policies and laws are framed to help corporate houses evade taxes. Lands are gifted to them at throw away prices in the name of development and SEZs. Loans are sanctioned to them by national banks to recover their losses and expand business overseas by tax payers money.Natural resources are exploited for mining and government turns a blind eye – all this because they are paid for this. Yes they are paid by the business houses, vested interests in form of unknown political funding. The BJP received the lion’s share – Rs 705.81 crore – of Rs 956.77 crore  from 2,987 corporate donors followed by the Congress that received Rs 198.16 crore from 167 business houses, as per the Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR).

AAM AADMI PARTY has been fighting to bring donations to political parties under RTI since its inception. But the BJP and Congress have unitedly opposed it while they lecture on Bhrastachar Mukt Bharat and killing black money. 92% of AAP’s funding comes through banking channels. Only 8% comes through cash, and as a matter of practice this is also deposited in the bank account which can be easily verified and there is nothing to hide. AAP, for the first time in India’s history of political parties, is transparent about its income and expenditure. Every rupee it receives is displayed on its web site. It is this transparency that gives AAP the power to force private schools return extra fees they charged, fine private hopsitals INR 600 Crs for refusing to treat poor patients – because AAP is funded by the people and works for the people.

AAP survives solely on donations by individuals who hope to see a change in the society. The Delhi government is working on Mohalla clinics and government schools rather than sanctioning hefty loans and subsidies to the corporates to return their favor of funding.  To continue the struggle against corruption , AAP constantly pitches for donations from its supporters. Between October 1 and 16, the party received Rs 13. 23 Lakh from 835 donors. It has a committed group of around 400 donors who contribute on a monthly basis. On Tuesday sent an email appeal requesting for donations “to help keep the idea of a clean alternate politics alive”. Kejriwal’s message led to fresh donations of Rs 14.72 lakh within a day, with more than 1,830 people responding. The lowest contribution was Rs 10, and the highest Rs 1 lakh. On Wednesday, the party received Rs 4.61 lakh from 641 donors till 2 pm. #CleanPoliticsThisDiwali was trending on twitter with AAP supporters sharing their certificate of donations ranging from Rs 100 to Rs 10,000. This is a sign of hope – for politics, for AAP and for India!